Depression, addressing it and moving on / anti depressants

oman0115

Bit of a deep one this. I've been unhappy for years, and never addressed it. I've had an ex who was depressed, and I didn't know how to handle it and I tried to hide from it because I've felt bad myself.

Recently I've had problems with a relationship, and the sh!t hit the fan. It's like all my scars have come back and years of hiding problems has just exploded.

I had to leave work yesterday, and went to the Drs today and explained everything I feel. They've suggested counselling and anti depressants. I don't want to take them. Has anyone taken them and what do they do? I'm going to do research when I get home but think I've decided. I know my issues and what's wrong, and want to be happy, but I'm not sure numbing things out with pills is good.

I feel flat as a pancake today, but admitting to it does feel good, like a weight off my shoulders. If anyone else feels this way I suggest addressing it. I've grown up in a family where you're just told to cheer up and be happy. Think talking might be the other way to go.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Best way to feel better. Doesn't matter what form, just get out of the house and do something. If you can't get out, load the wii up or something similar and get moving.
Pills will help with the initial hump, but exercise and then something like cognitive behavioural therapy are the best routes as they will give you long term changes.

16ifrjk.jpg

or exercise

The medication just levels you out so you can make the right decisions,they do have substantial side effects to start with though,risk v reward is the way to look at going that route
It sounds to me that you would get on very well with talking therapy first off so try that,i don't know how long the NHS waiting list is so it might be worth looking at doing it privately,you have made the first move so follow it up straight away and see how it goes

The medication just levels you out so you can make the right decisions,they do have substantial side effects to start with though,risk v reward is the way to look at going that route
It sounds to me that you would get on very well with talking therapy first off so try that,i don't know how long the NHS waiting list is so it might be worth looking at doing it privately,you have made the first move so follow it up straight away and see how it goes
It's about 6 months up here now as you've said talking therapy sounds like it could work well for him

It's about 6 months up here now as you've said talking therapy sounds like it could work well for him
It's a scandal you have to wait for 6 mths,a lot can happen in a day when you are depressed,private is the way to go then,your GP can point you in the right direction OP

Expressing your feelings to another human such as the GP is a great step to recovery! be kind to yourself right now- feelings of guilt don't really help right now.
I can't comment on the antidepressant use at it depends on the individual. They definitely have their place.

Although not as good as human there are cbt online courses you can make a start on such as mood gym.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Best way to feel better. Doesn't matter what form, just get out of the house and do something. If you can't get out, load the wii up or something similar and get moving.
Pills will help with the initial hump, but exercise and then something like cognitive behavioural therapy are the best routes as they will give you long term changes.
Indeed I used to come into contact with work with depressives quite alot and to be honest sitting looking at 4 walls like they did would drepess me.

Get out chill and enjoy life, don't sit there thinking life is shit or it will be.

talk please talk to anyone the first councillor might not be the right one but keep trying
and get away from here and TV get out and walk worked for me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.