Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

The disconnect between fans and board always used to be there. Fans had a different agenda to the boardroom. Then for 5 years or so after the takeover City fans entered wonderland and money took us there, therefore the money men could not be criticised. However after building Mancini's team with such ease, City have found it a lot harder to do what should be an easier job in maintaining that squad. Once you're on top in football, (Utd and Liverpool) you should be able to stay there because there are so many advantages of being top dog in a football world where money gets money and all the top players want to play for the best club. However we messed it up. We bought very poorly window after window, spending hundreds of millions on poor players. Clubs like Spurs, and Chelsea have moved ahead of City and now we're part of a group of 6 or 8 clubs. Mancini's team is now in it's 30's and Guardiola is going to have to replace almost every single element with the exception of maybe Silva, Kompany and Aguero. At least last Summer we added some quality young players. That is hopeful.

Off the pitch we see the club's face turned to the corporate world. All the initiatives at the club seem to be directed towards fans with money. The platinum club where ticketing was focused on rewarding money rather than loyalty is a disgraceful idea. And then we have one block after another being turned into corporate stands. It wouldn't bother me if I saw that the club is still intent on ground expansion as I would know then that the club's ambitions remain and that they include ordinary supporters. But it's total silence in that regard so I can only assume that those plans have been mothballed. Garry Cook was accused of being too brash, but we've gone too for the other way. The club does not communicate with its supporters. Instead we have focus groups where we are defined by spending habits.

The appointment of Guardiola should be encouraging as he was regarded as the world's best coach. And in the Summer we bought two of the best young players in world football. How exciting is it to watch Leroy Sane? He if he keeps his feet on the floor then he is another Ronaldo in the making and that is not an exaggeration. he is the most exciting young player I have seen at City. And then we have Gabriel Jesus. The problem is that we have to rebuild almost the entire team now. I think by the time Guardiola is done, there will only be Kompany, Silva and Aguero left from the old team. I don't mind that. I want us to get on with it and rebuild. If I was Sheikh Mansour though, I'd make sure my executives turned their focus towards the supporters. It's OK when you're winning everything. Fans are happy. When you're not you have to work a little bit harder and make it clear what you're doing

Marvin -

Much of what you say about the 'new'City is spot on & follows a well defined culture of asset development in the UAE. Develop to 7 star standards first,then back fill when the brand is established & recognised through 6,5,4 star etc.

It will probably work at City if we start to win trophies again & when the North Stand extension is complete.

9000 'value' tickets,rail standing,repositioning of singers etc will all help to redress the balance & get the lost season ticket holders from Maine Road back into the fold.

Where I do slightly disagree is fan/club/player/connection. When we were really shit we were together,we rallied round each other,it was a badge of honour to tell others 'we're City' & we were admired by almost everyone because of our self deprecating loyalty & madness. We were also very aligned under Bobby. He got us,we got him & we all got the team.

Onwards & upwards 'eh.

Otter was bought to replace the 'failure' Mangala who was supposed to be a 'footballing'centre back.

Does that description resonate.......John Stones for example may be a footballer but he'll never be a proper defender.
His first four clearances on Tuesday went straight to Brom players & he was in another post code to their scorer.

For all Joleons faults he could defend and was 40% of the best central pairing in the league for 3 years.

Daft as it may sound we've never had an upgrade on him since his demise.

Stones terrifies me every time he is in the side, he is an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully if he plays alongside Kompany for a while he may improve, but he was making these mistakes at Everton for a year before he joined us.

Make that 7 or 8 to replace those that would have demanded a move if he had of stayed.

Bob did great and was a huge part of our history but his race had been run and thankfully, your mate realised that.

In all fairness 7 or 8 of them players that fell out with Mancini have now already left or being pushed out by Pep..... Joe Hart probably would have tried turning on Pep and could have well done (for all we know), but the lad would be pissing in the wind as he knows Pep has 110% backing by the board. The players who fell out with Mancini blamed Mancini for their own failures that season because of petty things (like not saying good morning), yet now they've not exactly moved on to outstanding careers.

Bobby should have hit Nasri for ducking in the wall agin the rags which turned that season and again for not tracking Mackie agin QPR.

Didn't say hello to Chapman,fronted up to some mars arsed egos,told the truth to Marwood

Wanted 3/4 upgrades immediately after 93-20.

Undermined,betrayed & stabbed in the back.

The man who restored pride,fucked the piss can & tore the banner down.

Utterly disgraceful.

Bobby should have hit Nasri for ducking in the wall agin the rags which turned that season and again for not tracking Mackie agin QPR.

Didn't say hello to Chapman,fronted up to some mars arsed egos,told the truth to Marwood

Wanted 3/4 upgrades immediately after 93-20.

Undermined,betrayed & stabbed in the back.

The man who restored pride,fucked the piss can & tore the banner down.

Utterly disgraceful.
Lol

Stones terrifies me every time he is in the side, he is an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully if he plays alongside Kompany for a while he may improve, but he was making these mistakes at Everton for a year before he joined us.

Thank you Glenn Hoddle.
Stones doesn't terrify me in the slightest. He's effortless in possession and the occasional gaffe is inevitable given his age and the exposed high-risk role his manager wants him to undertake. For sure he'd be better with Kompany alongside him, but then that'd be true of three quarters of the centre halves in the league. I hope we buy Bonnucci in the summer so Stones will always have an experienced leader alongside him, but as young centre halves go I'm delighted to have him at our disposal

Thank you Glenn Hoddle.
Stones doesn't terrify me in the slightest. He's effortless in possession and the occasional gaffe is inevitable given the exposed high-risk role his manager wants him to undertake. For sure he'd be better with Kompany alongside him, but then that'd be true of three quarters of the centre halves in the league. I hope we buy Bonnucci in the summer so Stones will always have an experienced leader alongside him, but as young centre halves go I'm delighted to have him at our disposal

I'm not Glenn Hoddle and thank you Stones agent but he still terrifies me in our back four. He is young and hopefully he will eradicate these brain freezes from his game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.