Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

We criminally lost momentum during MP's tenure.
While agent Moyes was accomplishing his magnificent detriment work at the scums, we should have went for the jugular and crush the league to build a decade of domination.
Every parameters were in check for us to take over : scums beginning to turn into a 21st century Wimbledon, Chelsea still rebuilding, the gooners & scousers stalling.
That two-years opportunity window that we had, we absolutely bottled it, plain and simple.
We should have been fearless in the transfer market, but instead, have been nitpicking and resorting to signing second choices reinforcements over and over.
The gap of quality between our squad and the top five was in our favor and so obvious till that 2013-2014 season.
If there was a time to bury the competition, that was it.
Yet, we let all of them close that gap in the lapse of the 2014 summer transfer, and were nowhere to be seen since then.
We failed to replicate what Chelsea did during their 2003~2005 recomposition.
Couldn't agree more. I don't want to take anything away from Pellergrini but he won his title with what was essentially Mancini/Cooks team plus Fernandinho and Negredo for half a season. It's debatable whether were went backwards under MP (though a lot of the blame lies with Txiki and Soriano) but we certainly stagnated; the performances of players, our transfers (in and out of the club) and even in terms of fan engagement.

That team which won the title in 2012 was superb; certainly the best City side I've ever seen, and arguably one of the best PL-winning teams (people forget that Utd were also brilliant that year, and we were better than them). Even the side that came second the following year was very good, but just fell apart behind the scenes. Our front four were Kun, Tevez, Mario and Dzeko - what PL side has ever had a striker roster that good?!. We should have kicked on from then on.

We criminally lost momentum during MP's tenure.
While agent Moyes was accomplishing his magnificent detriment work at the scums, we should have went for the jugular and crush the league to build a decade of domination.
Every parameters were in check for us to take over : scums beginning to turn into a 21st century Wimbledon, Chelsea still rebuilding, the gooners & scousers stalling.
That two-years opportunity window that we had, we absolutely bottled it, plain and simple.
We should have been fearless in the transfer market, but instead, have been nitpicking and resorting to signing second choices reinforcements over and over.
The gap of quality between our squad and the top five was in our favor and so obvious till that 2013-2014 season.
If there was a time to bury the competition, that was it.
Yet, we let all of them close that gap in the lapse of the 2014 summer transfer, and were nowhere to be seen since then.
We failed to replicate what Chelsea did during their 2003~2005 recomposition.

I don't agree. First of all the Pellegrini tenure lasted 3 seasons and in his first season he won a double playing the most attractive football and goalscoring fest yet to be seen. He was the perfect successor to Mancini and it showed. Unfortunately the 2nd season the team failed to live up to winning the league as it did after they won it with Mancini. Halfway the 3rd season Pellegrini found out what was already coming for years, i.e. Guardiola replacing him. He still managed to win the League Cup and finish in the top 4, en route getting the team to the semis of the Champions League. I know, simple facts and the football wasn't the best anymore, but still the man managed to get these results and never moaned the way Mancini did after his sacking. Showing what gentleman Pellegrini really was. And up until now pricewise Guardiola hasn't come close to Pellegrini's first season despite a fond outlay buying players. Than again I feel we do play as good as we did under Pellegrini's first season, and found out what influence Kompany has on the team. Kompany who was missing in the same way Pellegrini missed him in his last year.
Txiki choose Pellegrini as part of laying foundations to the entrance of Guardiola and the man was the perfect manager to do this. If there is one man responsible for us having an unbalanced squad it is Txiki, not Pellegrini nor Guardiola. But Txiki is another (big) part in the whole proces that has been going on over the last 9 years and I would say Khaldoon and Soriano are as much to blame for whatever reason you'd think has held us back. I don't think we are held back if you considder the bigger picture. If you considder just the 1st team and its results, I say every team runs in to a period of changing with results not going their way. Blaming a manager is the easiest way ...

I don't agree. First of all the Pellegrini tenure lasted 3 seasons and in his first season he won a double playing the most attractive football and goalscoring fest yet to be seen. He was the perfect successor to Mancini and it showed. Unfortunately the 2nd season the team failed to live up to winning the league as it did after they won it with Mancini. Halfway the 3rd season Pellegrini found out what was already coming for years, i.e. Guardiola replacing him. He still managed to win the League Cup and finish in the top 4, en route getting the team to the semis of the Champions League. I know, simple facts and the football wasn't the best anymore, but still the man managed to get these results and never moaned the way Mancini did after his sacking. Showing what gentleman Pellegrini really was. And up until now pricewise Guardiola hasn't come close to Pellegrini's first season despite a fond outlay buying players. Than again I feel we do play as good as we did under Pellegrini's first season, and found out what influence Kompany has on the team. Kompany who was missing in the same way Pellegrini missed him in his last year.
Txiki choose Pellegrini as part of laying foundations to the entrance of Guardiola and the man was the perfect manager to do this. If there is one man responsible for us having an unbalanced squad it is Txiki, not Pellegrini nor Guardiola. But Txiki is another (big) part in the whole proces that has been going on over the last 9 years and I would say Khaldoon and Soriano are as much to blame for whatever reason you'd think has held us back. I don't think we are held back if you considder the bigger picture. If you considder just the 1st team and its results, I say every team runs in to a period of changing with results not going their way. Blaming a manager is the easiest way ...

It's pretty easy to blame a guy who started a huge fat **** in the middle of a 442 every week, & allowed the team to become the laziest in the whole country, when the same group are now obviously fitter, even to the naked eye & last time i looked, were 2nd only to Spurs in workrate.

That's before you get started on the actual football, offside trap which was sussed after one season, Demichelis, etc etc etc.

Con man.

It's pretty easy to blame a guy who started a huge fat **** in the middle of a 442 every week, & allowed the team to become the laziest in the whole country, when the same group are now obviously fitter, even to the naked eye & last time i looked, were 2nd only to Spurs in workrate.

That's before you get started on the actual football, offside trap which was sussed after one season, Demichelis, etc etc etc.

Con man.

Doesn't go with the fact that we finished top 4, reached the semis of the CL and won the League Cup, knowing he was on his way. But what you said pretty much goes for when Pellegrini took over from Mancini who by then let his team play boring football and messed up the dressing room. Mancini took over at the right moment, so did Pellegrini and so did Guardiola. Let's all hope Guardiola will be remembered on a more positive note than both Mancini and Pellegrini, either that being justified or not. He has received his critics on here already. Unjustified and imho as lazy as to blame a manager for the Q asked in this topic.

Its clear that the Club failed to kick on and all the contributory facts are summed up well on here. Going forward its going to be a lot harder to stride away from Chelsea as they can match our spending. The opportunity has gone and we can only hope Pep will be the difference that can separate us from the other challengers.

Doesn't go with the fact that we finished top 4, reached the semis of the CL and won the League Cup, knowing he was on his way. But what you said pretty much goes for when Pellegrini took over from Mancini who by then let his team play boring football and messed up the dressing room. Mancini took over at the right moment, so did Pellegrini and so did Guardiola. Let's all hope Guardiola will be remembered on a more positive note than both Mancini and Pellegrini, either that being justified or not. He has received his critics on here already. Unjustified and imho as lazy as to blame a manager for the Q asked in this topic.

Mancini's problem was Mancini imo. He destroyed the spirit of his own team, which he had built, through his attitude.

Pellegrini, like Conte now, took over a top side, underachieving due to a sulking slapped arse manager, tweaked a couple of things, added a couple of players & cleaned up.

What we then saw, was the team gradually becoming Pellegrini's rather than Mancini's.

What Pep is doing is chucking out both & starting again.

The reason City aren't now Real Madrid in success, is UEFA stopping Mancini & Pellegrini from buying all the players needed, to keep them at the top.

You haven't grasp the essence of my input here, have you ?
Basically, what i'm saying is we should have kicked the gear and buried our competition during the 2014 transfer windows,
instead we have let all of them lick their wounds and catch us regarding strength and depth of squads.
Going into that 2014/2015 season with Fernando, Mangala and Bony as key signings was criminal, the rest is history.

Give over man, I don't need reminding what he did, I was there for it all.

Doesn't stop the fact that he was causing all sorts of problems behind the scenes, common knowledge majority of our best players would have fucked off if he stuck around - you wouldn't have remembered him so fondly if that had happened....

Common knowledge or post-event rationalisation? Because, as with Hart, some of the more voluble posters now brand him as a cnut, whereas some like to think he was something special. Polarisation. Some of the sneers from self-appointed ITKs are actually pretty shabby, specially when some of the same individuals have the brass neck to demand unswerving faith in the current manager. Time will tell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.