I'm stuck (diy help please!!)

Mayor West

Ok I'm building sleeper walls in the garden and I need a new drill. I'm drilling a 6mm hole through the sleeper and into the supporting post, but the longest drill but I can find is 150mm which just isn't long enough, as soon as the screws I'm using hit the raw wood the drill jams and I have to use the drill as a makeshift screwdriver, which has caused me to burn the motor out. So new drill is needed, and I have no idea if I need a corded hammer drill or a more powerful portable drill, one I've been using us only 14.4v.

Any help would be much appreciated?!

Edit: just ordered a 6mm x 235mm drill bit so that's half the problem solved. So basically most cordless drills are 18v, will that be sufficient?

Last edited:
Ok I'm building sleeper walls in the garden and I need a new drill. I'm drilling a 6mm hole through the sleeper and into the supporting post, but the longest drill but I can find is 150mm which just isn't long enough, as soon as the screws I'm using hit the raw wood the drill jams and I have to use the drill as a makeshift screwdriver, which has caused me to burn the motor out. So new drill is needed, and I have no idea if I need a corded hammer drill or a more powerful portable drill, one I've been using us only 14.4v.

You can get longer drill bits than 150 at Toolstation or Amazon if you google it. How long do they need to be? Corded drills will be better, but think whatever you get you need one specifically with a screwdriver function, not all do. On mine I can control the max torque (?) and the trigger is responsive so it controls the speed the more I press it. Cost a ton though as it's a cordless Bosch one.

15ck1u0.jpg

Edit: just ordered a 6mm x 235mm drill bit so that's half the problem solved. So basically most cordless drills are 18v, will that be sufficient?
For what you are doing, you want to be able to control the speed of the drill, the power of the drill shouldn't make much difference. If you're drilling away at full speed and you move the angle of the drill too much the bit could snap, or the drill could snag and jar into you. Take it nice and easy, although you're still at risk of snapping the bit. Get a drill with multiple speed settings and a responsive trigger. If the bits are cheap, get a few and return what you don't use after the job. Start new holes with smaller length bits first and move up to the longer bits later.

speak English please, buy me a pint and I'll do it for you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.