Sky Sports Relaunch- New and Exclusive Channels for Football

Sky will be happy to help you with that and take your money mate...
Oh, they already do that pretty efficiently :-(. I have been thinking of binning it but I still want the football and Sky Atlantic. If they are reducing prices I may give them a 2nd chance.

The format is outdated. Been and gone.
I cancelled Sky around a decade a go now yet watch far more footy than ever. Hmm....

Other sports such as ufc, NHL, nfl and so on have their own pass system.
UFC costs me £50 for 12mths, with this I'm given an application.

This app allows me to cast any ufc event and many other MMA events straight to my TV, any time I want. Including live events.

One price, all you can eat.
I ain't paying for a load of music channels, a dish on the side of my house, movie reruns and cookery shoes as well.
I just get The UFC.
The sport I want.

WWE also do this.

So this is where Football seriously needs to go, in particular The Premier League.

We buy a pass, watch every game, don't need any boxes, dishes and all that jazz.
Just your smartphone /tablet and a Chromecast or Amazon fire stick.
My Chromecast cost me £30
Bargain.

This is moving with the times.
Maybe a specific team pass, so you could just pay to watch City.

For going on over a decade now I've watched my football online.
It's much better now, HD streams and costs me about £40 per year, never miss a game.

What pisses me off is I want to legally use this kind of service here in the UK.
But it isn't available due to the corporations greed.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

I think since Sky fired Richard Keys and Andy Grey Sky Sports has been on a massive decline. Like them or not, they made it and use to enjoy their analysis after each Sunday game on a wet rainy night.

Martin Tyler should be retiring too. It's an end of an era.

Thank fuck for that. The spiteful old woman.

Launch "Sky Sports United" and charge £50 a month for a season ticket to the "theatre of dreams" channel. All the rag twats in shitty little towns like Swindon will happily cough-up - generating the revenues Murdoch needs to justify his investment. If you could call it MUTV and coincidentally happen to own it already, all the better.

Meanwhile appeal to everyone else who despises the twats (and for that I mean the fans of pretty much every other club) and keep the rags off of "Sky Football".

I suspect more people would likely to watch a quality football channel that focused on being something other than what is currently nothing more than a rag ££££'s-chasing wank fest.

Last year there was too many unattractive teams in the league imo, no one wants to watch Watford, Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea, West Brom etc.. I actually think there is too much football on tv, by february i pretty much just watch City and a few champions league games.

Another take on sky shake up and blaming kodi users for it.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/06/sk...is-a-declaration-of-war-on-illegal-streamers/

Sky vs Kodi: Sports Channel Shake-Up Is A Declaration Of War On Illegal Streamers
James O Malley
By James O Malley on 29 Jun 2017 at 11:00AM

For a quarter of century, Sky Sports has been the undisputed king of sports broadcasting. Since the company first scooped up the Premier League rights in 1992, if you wanted to watch your team play, you needed to pay a subscription.

But 25 years on, Sky is under threat. Not from some young, upstart broadcaster - but from illegal streamers. As Kodi boxes and similar hardware have become commonplace, more and more viewers have turned to illicit streams to get their sporting fix. Viewing figures (which of course only measure legal viewers) are down, and 54% of millennials admit to having viewed an illegal stream. According to that same Guardian report, 18-24 year olds are only half as likely to pay for Sky or BT Sport as older fans.

And this is presumably one of the major trends that if reports are to be believed, is forcing Sky to shake things up and rebrand its sports channels. Numbered channels will be done away with - and instead they will be replaced with sport-specific channels: Sky Football, Sky Golf, and so on, in the mould of Sky F1 which already exists. Sports that don’t merit their own channel, like Rugby and Tennis, will be shifted onto an all-purpose “Sky Arena” channel.

Perhaps even more significantly, for the first time viewers will be able to subscribe only to the sports they’re interested in. So no more paying for hundreds of hours of Premier League football you don’t care about, if what you’re really into is Ice Hockey. The new, cheapest package will start at £18/month - dramatically lower than the £50 it is demanding now.

This new pricing will also provide a new mid-price point for sports fans who want to watch more regularly than just the occasional day-pass on Sky’s Now TV on-demand service, but aren’t completely obsessive about all sport.

And perhaps most crucially, it’ll mitigate the impact of so-called “fully loaded” Kodi boxes.

A Legal Alternative

If Sky can get the pricing right (and my sense is that it is still slightly too expensive), the new structure could have the same transformative effect as Spotify and Netflix on piracy of music and film respectively. For a small monthly fee, Spotify means that you can access essentially all of the music in the world, for “free”, on whatever device you use - and it’s a million times easier to use than a pirate equivalent.

Netflix hasn’t ended movie and TV piracy to quite the same extent, but by offering an enormous library of films at the touch of a button, it is again much more attractive than piracy. And crucially, there’s no satellite dish, special box or any other fees attached.

By stripping away all of the bullshit and cutting the price - it seems likely that this new Sky Sports offering will offer an attractive legal alternative to illegal streaming.

A Path To The Future

The move also makes sense from a strategic perspective for where sports broadcasting will likely go in the future. It’s easy to imagine the end-point as you only have to look at other categories and countries to see that we’re already there:

Forget channels, the future is inevitably going to be an app-style interface that will fire up whatever live sports you like, on demand. And this will enable Sky to go even further - not just segmented the audience by sport, but by team. Said app could remember that you’re a supporter of Manchester United, and then skin and and customise the interface to be all about your team: Team stats, team-specific news, highlights that focus on only the team you care about, and so on.

This actually already exists - but for American sports. In the US and Canada, all of the major sports have their own subscription services and apps which work in exactly this way. If you’re a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL GameCenter will look more like a Maple Leafs app.

And across the pond, broadcasting goes further too, which every team having (in effect) its own broadcast of each game. Each team has its own presenting team, studio and commentators - enabling them to offer explicitly partisan coverage to their own fans. Given the collapse in the cost of broadcasting thanks to technology, surely it is inevitable that the same will happen here? (Some bigger football clubs already have their own branded channels, but these mostly do not show live games.)

So it is surely within Sky’s interest to build towards that, so that it can become the distribution platform for this sort of content - rather than inevitably cut out directly if clubs decide to go direct to fans instead.

In any case - this strikes me as a sensible move from Sky - and knock Kodi down a peg or two.

I think Sky had a real shock with the Anthony Joshua fight a couple of months ago with how easy it was to watch without buying it on pay per view. We aren't talking about buying a fire stick or downloading anything to your laptop. I typed 'Anthony Joshua' into the search bar on Facebook about 5 minites before it started and settled down to watch it on Facebook Live with several hundred thousand of others. I had thought about buying it but knew but would be on there so didn't bother. That has got to be frightening for them.

They might go down the road as to offer each sporting event like the ashes for a set fee or premier league tv ticket a champs league tv ticket fa cup league cup championship and so on.

Like some one alluded to on here and got a mention in the article individual apps like they have in America will be where it will eventually end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.