Cyclists

I've already said it's the ones who are a yard and a half or more out, probably because they want to avoid a drain cover in case they slip, I'm happy to share the road with sensible cyclists, maybe it's time they sorted their own out, I'm sure they'll have plenty of damning evidence stored in their helmet cams. I've also agreed that plenty of motorists are inconsiderate twats, I'm not one of them, I don't go around knocking cyclists off but I'm entitled to say it as I see it.

I think it's quite nice to see a family out cycling together and naturally would always give them every consideration, kids need all the guidance they can get on coping with roads. The ones that do my swede in come from the lycra clad brigade, they have lanes provided but don't want to use them in case they pop their tyres, well tough shit, pay bicycle road tax and then you can have them swept regularly.

Seriously? that's the best you have? you can read back all through this thread and find that Road Tax doesn't go towards the up keep of roads, cycle lanes? don't make me fucking laugh they are an after thought by lazy town planners and absolute disgrace either dangerous beyond belief when rejoining or littered with shit most of it coming from motor vehicles.

I have cycled all over Europe and the vast majority of drivers give full care and attention to cyclists because its embedded in their psyche, cycling as a serious past time has only took off here in the last 25 years so there is no symbiotic relationship but it will come, for whats it worth I cycle a lot and drive a lot visiting customers I see all kinds of idiocy on both sides I cant abide tools on mountain bikes on pavements as much as tools in cars who do the most outrageous shit.

I've already said it's the ones who are a yard and a half or more out, probably because they want to avoid a drain cover in case they slip, I'm happy to share the road with sensible cyclists, maybe it's time they sorted their own out, I'm sure they'll have plenty of damning evidence stored in their helmet cams. I've also agreed that plenty of motorists are inconsiderate twats, I'm not one of them, I don't go around knocking cyclists off but I'm entitled to say it as I see it.

I think it's quite nice to see a family out cycling together and naturally would always give them every consideration, kids need all the guidance they can get on coping with roads. The ones that do my swede in come from the lycra clad brigade, they have lanes provided but don't want to use them in case they pop their tyres, well tough shit, pay bicycle road tax and then you can have them swept regularly.
Just like the roads getting swept and repaired with the proceeds of car tax....

Seriously? that's the best you have? you can read back all through this thread and find that Road Tax doesn't go towards the up keep of roads, cycle lanes? don't make me fucking laugh they are an after thought by lazy town planners and absolute disgrace either dangerous beyond belief when rejoining or littered with shit most of it coming from motor vehicles.

I have cycled all over Europe and the vast majority of drivers give full care and attention to cyclists because its embedded in their psyche, cycling as a serious past time has only took off here in the last 25 years so there is no symbiotic relationship but it will come, for whats it worth I cycle a lot and drive a lot visiting customers I see all kinds of idiocy on both sides I cant abide tools on mountain bikes on pavements as much as tools in cars who do the most outrageous shit.

Ok you got me, that last sentence wasn't well thought out.

Doesn't seem like we're a million miles apart though, you don't like bad motorists or bad cyclists, neither do I. I've also noticed the difference abroad, particularly Majorca, specifically Alcudia, it's bike central, that's fair enough, I've driven while there and no issues.

Thing is with these cycle lanes, I appreciate they probably aren't ideal due to how they came about but here's a thought, I believe there are rambling clubs who organise days out with the specific intention of clearing up the countryside, litter picking, making sure paths aren't getting to obstructed by undergrowth etc, how about cyclists doing something similar with regard to cycle lanes, after all they are there for your benefit.

Really? I was always taught to command my position whether in a car, truck or on a bike... makes people behind you think before overtaking
By all means command your position, but often you see folk hogging the centre line for no reason, or what is even worse people signalling right then coming to a halt on the left hand side of the carriage way so nobody (including cyclists) can get past on the inside?

Well you're right, I've not ridden a pushbike since 1975, no intention of ever doing so, just doesn't appeal.

Right again, a cyclist taking the middle ground to impede a motorist is a ridiculous thing to do, plenty of them do it though, A couple of years ago my work meant a daily commute to Macc from Northwich, nice little country ride through Chelford you'd think, most evenings and some mornings the journey was littered with cyclists, many keeping to the gutter but some would deliberately ride a good yard & a half out into the road, or worse still be 2 or 3 abreast, I think this is wrong, Some would pull right in front of the first car at a give way junction, how is that acceptable, queue up like the rest of us.

So you can't speak for all cyclists like that mate, plenty are twats just like drivers.

I don't claim to be any great shakes as a driver but I know how not to impede my fellow motorists and I realise time is money for a good few of them.

For sure. Plenty of Lycra Louts giving decent cyclists a bad name. I was just saying that most of the cyclists I know are decent drivers because they get to see the road from a different perspective.

I do understand time is money, but it doesn't give you any more rights as a road user. Cycle couriers are probably the worst at thinking they can do what they want on the road.

I also understand why cyclist pull up to the front at a junction. Because it is generally safer to be out of the way up front where they can be seen. Most people are so transfixed by the view out of their windscreen, they fail to see the cyclist right next to them.

By all means command your position, but often you see folk hogging the centre line for no reason, or what is even worse people signalling right then coming to a halt on the left hand side of the carriage way so nobody (including cyclists) can get past on the inside?

For sure. Plenty of Lycra Louts giving decent cyclists a bad name. I was just saying that most of the cyclists I know are decent drivers because they get to see the road from a different perspective.

I do understand time is money, but it doesn't give you any more rights as a road user. Cycle couriers are probably the worst at thinking they can do what they want on the road.

I also understand why cyclist pull up to the front at a junction. Because it is generally safer to be out of the way up front where they can be seen. Most people are so transfixed by the view out of their windscreen, they fail to see the cyclist right next to them.

Yes but if they queued up like us motorists they wouldn't be out of vision, they'd be in the queue behind a car and in front of a car, when their turn came they would be at the front by right rather than by taking the piss, just good manners really.

Ok you got me, that last sentence wasn't well thought out.

Doesn't seem like we're a million miles apart though, you don't like bad motorists or bad cyclists, neither do I. I've also noticed the difference abroad, particularly Majorca, specifically Alcudia, it's bike central, that's fair enough, I've driven while there and no issues.

Thing is with these cycle lanes, I appreciate they probably aren't ideal due to how they came about but here's a thought, I believe there are rambling clubs who organise days out with the specific intention of clearing up the countryside, litter picking, making sure paths aren't getting to obstructed by undergrowth etc, how about cyclists doing something similar with regard to cycle lanes, after all they are there for your benefit.

Alcudia is probably the worse example of cyclists in Majorca as they do tend to ride about as if they own the roads (well Max Huerzeler thinks he owns the roads in Majorca he rents out thousands of bikes) however the locals know they pay the bills in the off months so give us plenty of space, I try and avoid Alcuda and stick to the mountains.

With regards to cleaning the bike lanes I pay all my Taxes both local and government and really expect them to be providing both roads and cycle paths fit for purpose and lets be having it right neither are.

Last edited:
Yes but if they queued up like us motorists they wouldn't be out of vision, they'd be in the queue behind a car and in front of a car, when their turn came they would be at the front by right rather than by taking the piss, just good manners really.
On my drive home the road goes down to a single lane, but some drivers think nothing of speeding down the outside (way beyond the 40mph limit) and nosing in at the front of the queue, causing everything behind to back up. Bad apples on both sides. Cyclists are just more vulnerable to injury than your average car driver, and consideration must be given to this.

(and on that note; I'm off to join the queue........)

Alcudia is probably the worse example of cyclists in

Really, in what way, more of them, or how they ride? Seemed mostly Dutch, German & Swedes, didn't have a problem though, maybe that's because they pretty much owned the road, bit like I do here:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.