Cyclists

On my drive home the road goes down to a single lane, but some drivers think nothing of speeding down the outside (way beyond the 40mph limit) and nosing in at the front of the queue, causing everything behind to back up. Bad apples on both sides. Cyclists are just more vulnerable to injury than your average car driver, and consideration must be given to this.

(and on that note; I'm off to join the queue........)

Safe journey:)

I believe I am a better driver by doing both. There's a pinch point near me where there's one of them crossing refuges. The designers decided, in their wisdom, to place it right where a grid exists in the middle of the cycle lane. Not just any old grid, mind. One with a three inch profile around it, forcing cyclists to come out of their designated lane into the narrowing road traffic, or risk an Eddie Kidd style jump over the said obstacle. Drivers who don't cycle have no idea of this type of sudden impediment that face cyclists on our roads.

There's an increasing number of 'obstacles' that force cyclists further into the road or chance either a puncture or dismounting in a fashion they hadn't chosen.

We have a roundabout near us where there is a 'fly-through' for traffic going straight on and as you enter the carriage way which is rather narrow there is a grid that isn't level with the road surface. It is depressed by about two to three inches and even at a leisurely pace it's a major hazard. Every time a stretch of road is resurfaced the grids never seem to be raised to match the extra height of the surface where the original surface hasn't been scraped off! It is this feature of road surfaces that drivers never encounter as it sits by the kerb.

with regard to cycle lanes, after all they are there for your benefit.
So are roads and they are generally easier to cycle on. than the appalling excuses for cycle ways that too many councils provide though some are OK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.