Agents' fees

kenster197

Hiding in the Highlands miles from civilisation
sorry if this has been asked, but can someone properly explain why agents now seem to dictate to the football player and the club? If I (the club) offer you £200k a week to come here but I'm only willing to pay the agent say £2m when he wants £20m, surely you (the player) are the person who agrees or disagrees? Surely, if it's because he gets the player the best deal, then the club have gone from £20m down to £2m so have £18m to help entice the player?
I obviously look at this from a very basic/simplistic point of view, but I can't get my head around why they have such power and command such huge fee's.

Image rights, signing on fee, sponsorship deals (sports kit/toiletries/clothing/aftershave/razors, etc.), birthday cake; all things an agent is responsible for. In some instances the agent pretty much takes care of everything, including social calendar, supposedly so the player can just concentrate on playing football. It's a symbiotic relationship between player, agent and club. The player is the employee of the club, and the agent is the employee of the player. Agent and player want what is best for them and the club want the best from of the player on the pitch.

If all is well, everybody wins. It's only when one party gets greedy that it tends to go wrong. With the TV deals of the last 20 years or so there is now an awful lot of money sloshing round in the game, but that genie certainly isn't going back in the bottle any time soon.

Image rights, signing on fee, sponsorship deals (sports kit/toiletries/clothing/aftershave/razors, etc.), birthday cake; all things an agent is responsible for. In some instances the agent pretty much takes care of everything, including social calendar, supposedly so the player can just concentrate on playing football. It's a symbiotic relationship between player, agent and club. The player is the employee of the club, and the agent is the employee of the player. Agent and player want what is best for them and the club want the best from of the player on the pitch.

If all is well, everybody wins. It's only when one party gets greedy that it tends to go wrong. With the TV deals of the last 20 years or so there is now an awful lot of money sloshing round in the game, but that genie certainly isn't going back in the bottle any time soon.

So my mistake would be thinking the agents fee is for the transfer, whereas in reality he/she takes care of the player for the duration of the contract?

FIFA should limit how many players agents could represent or at least how many of them could be sold to one club. it will soon com to the point where Mendes and fat italian cutn Raiola would be able to decide who'd win any league of CL by moving their players to one club.

FIFA should limit how many players agents could represent or at least how many of them could be sold to one club. it will soon com to the point where Mendes and fat italian cutn Raiola would be able to decide who'd win any league of CL by moving their players to one club.

Haha...FIFA...hahaha...

Problem is that FIFA are even more corrupt than the agents !

Sorry to hijack this but can we just make it a general transfer demystifying thread? I've been reading about this recently and it's made me think about how much shite united fans have been talking to make themselves feel better about the Pogba deal and the hypocrisy City face these days(it really does seem to be different rules for us).

First up this recent article shed a bit of light for me on how transfers work these days(hope whatsapp is secure), the talk about shirt sales already paying Pogba's fee the rags always like to roll out as a defence can't be true, they sign deals with the kit makers who pay a set annual amount over a set number of years no matter how many shirts they sell unless they renegotiate the contract at any point.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ow-a-transfer-deal-really-works-a7837031.html

Second on to the hypocrisy, we've already had the press bumping up Walkers' "real fee" up to £100m by including his wages. Thankfully there are some journalists who do see the blatant double standards and are brave enough to say it too, the below articles are well worth a read.

I know we like to dis the MEN but I have to say a lot of the stuff Stuart Brennan writes shouldn't be missed by City fans, he is actually very fair with us from what I have read of his, even pro city dare I say?
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r-news/man-city-transfer-news-walker-13336546

This one has some nice comparisons with figures that should put things into perspective for any rag or arsenal fan getting high and mighty with us:

http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-lukaku-actually-cost-man-united-116m

Also just for fun I had a feeling his Pogba fee was a little low if the article below is accurate we now know what Utd are paying the agent over the length of the contract, and a few of the bonus clauses for the player(there's probably more) then that by my estimate puts the "total" between £175m-£180m:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-Utd-signing-Ibrahimovic-Pogba-revealed.html

We know Pogba cost £89m initially and the rags are desperate to keep it there to take the pressure off him but it's likely that the addons will be triggered(they wont sell him and qualifying for the champions league is probably one of triggers) adding another £10m to that or so taking it to £99m. Then you have the player wages and bonuses and the agent fees which the rags are adamant Juventus are paying or came from the transfer fee already but apparently that's not true only £23m did and the rags will pay another £16.39m over the length of his contract(£3.29m a year) and an extra £2.2m will come from Poga himself. In his first season they paid Pogba £220,000 per week which is his basic wage with his image rights which cost them £2.87m(not sure if they have to pay that every year so I will only include it for the first). Next season he was due a pay cut but they qualified for the champions league which triggered a bonus of £1.875m(plus more if they win it... haha) and he gets a loyalty bonus of £3.46m too (which will rise to £3.78m the season after, sounds like a tricky way to hide his real salary) taking his salary to £251,634 per week.

Wages and bonuses:
1st year: £11.48m
2nd year: £13.09m
3-5th year: £13.41m or £11.53m if they don't qualify for the CL.

The salary will cost anywhere between £59.16m - £64.8m and that's just with the bonuses we know about.

£99m + £16.39m = £115.39m

Total: Between £174.55m-£180.19m

Last edited:
F365 can msiss the mark, and do quite often, but they really don't care much for crap journalism.

Their 164m for Pogba was pretty close to yours, all in all.
And Ibrahimovic ended up at something like 422k a week, didn't he?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.