Wasting money, or buying smart?

Stockport mackem

Team supported
Sunderland
This may tip into the media bias thread, apologies if it does.

So, City were heavily criticised for the outlay of money £30m+ for a goalkeeper, £50m+ for fullbacks, a right attacking mid, and a centre mid in Luiz.
Spend £216m (ish).

Several points here......
21 players have left (6/7 on loan)... realising £70m+...
Giving the benefit of the doubt (assuming wages are paid for loaners), 15 less on the wage bill...including some significant earners

So, a net spend of £146m....but 15 less wages to pay, no, it probably doesn't balance out...but it isn't too much of a yawning gap.

Who has been replaced??????
How much criticism did City get for Bravo, and the defence last year?
In comes 3 top quality defenders and a goalkeeper....makes sense to me.

Silva coming in...maybe Merlins long term replacement, but a player which adds another dimension , I would go as far to say, he is world class.

So...City are stronger.

Age.....
Average age of players bought......23
Average age of players that gave left .... 26

To summarise so far....
Younger, better players brought in to positions that were desperately needed.

Last point...timing.
City bought early....probably why the press went nuts....all done at once....and early.
Look what has happened to the transfer market since mid July.....a very average premier league player is now £20m or so (Gray to Watford £18m as an example).
Pep got in before the prices went even more crazy.

Quick comparison to the Rags

3 players in £146m ...average age 25

6 players left £7.25m average age 23 (not counting Ibrahimovic as likely to stay).
3 of the 5 players loaned....so only Rooney & Januzaj have left.

Players brought in.....
A forward replacing a forward....more mobile yes, but will he score more
A centre mid
A centre back

The Rags issues were scoring goals....I don't see how this has improved

In conclusion

Tfr net difference
City £146m
Rags £139m

Players off the books (wage reduction)
City 15 or 16
Rags 3 (inc Ibra)

Average age of recruits
City 23
Rags 25

Average age of release players
City 26
Rags 23 (25 inc Ibra)

Players replaced in need of positions
City....keeper and full backs...yes
Rags...forwards....yes in that Ibra is injured.....but no stronger than last year.

Rags also still looking to buy more, in the heightened market

So, city have bought, younger, better players, in positions they needed to..... before the prices hiked up even further....in total contrast to the Rags

I think Pep has bought smart

Great post fella, it seems the media concentrate on the financial side when it comes to City. Have they really sat back and looked at it the way you have??,the truth it seems is a bitter pill to swallow for these sports writers and putting a negative spin on things to appease the you know who's is what they choose to do.

You put them to shame fella.

well done last night mate.

City have had a very good summer no doubt.

I couldn't care less about the money spent, it's not my cash.

I do think that's a very good post though. Some of the players we've signed will be good for years to come and should hopefully strengthen where we were weak last season.

Good post Stockport Mackem

I would just add that because we have upgraded the key positions where we were mediocre last year, we have the choice of looking for a few bargains over the next year or two. I am thinking we might get Suarez and / or the Ox on free transfers (albeit their wages would be vast).

This may tip into the media bias thread, apologies if it does.

So, City were heavily criticised for the outlay of money £30m+ for a goalkeeper, £50m+ for fullbacks, a right attacking mid, and a centre mid in Luiz.
Spend £216m (ish).

Several points here......
21 players have left (6/7 on loan)... realising £70m+...
Giving the benefit of the doubt (assuming wages are paid for loaners), 15 less on the wage bill...including some significant earners

So, a net spend of £146m....but 15 less wages to pay, no, it probably doesn't balance out...but it isn't too much of a yawning gap.

Who has been replaced??????
How much criticism did City get for Bravo, and the defence last year?
In comes 3 top quality defenders and a goalkeeper....makes sense to me.

Silva coming in...maybe Merlins long term replacement, but a player which adds another dimension , I would go as far to say, he is world class.

So...City are stronger.

Age.....
Average age of players bought......23
Average age of players that gave left .... 26

To summarise so far....
Younger, better players brought in to positions that were desperately needed.

Last point...timing.
City bought early....probably why the press went nuts....all done at once....and early.
Look what has happened to the transfer market since mid July.....a very average premier league player is now £20m or so (Gray to Watford £18m as an example).
Pep got in before the prices went even more crazy.

Quick comparison to the Rags

3 players in £146m ...average age 25

6 players left £7.25m average age 23 (not counting Ibrahimovic as likely to stay).
3 of the 5 players loaned....so only Rooney & Januzaj have left.

Players brought in.....
A forward replacing a forward....more mobile yes, but will he score more
A centre mid
A centre back

The Rags issues were scoring goals....I don't see how this has improved

In conclusion

Tfr net difference
City £146m
Rags £139m

Players off the books (wage reduction)
City 15 or 16
Rags 3 (inc Ibra)

Average age of recruits
City 23
Rags 25

Average age of release players
City 26
Rags 23 (25 inc Ibra)

Players replaced in need of positions
City....keeper and full backs...yes
Rags...forwards....yes in that Ibra is injured.....but no stronger than last year.

Rags also still looking to buy more, in the heightened market

So, city have bought, younger, better players, in positions they needed to..... before the prices hiked up even further....in total contrast to the Rags

I think Pep has bought smart
I take your overall point that City are stronger but it was not a smart window. It has been a very good window for City, and credit to Txiki for getting all the work done well in advance, but every City fan knew we needed to replace the full backs and bring in a keeper.

Getting Bernardo Silva in was smart.

It does make it easier when you have a lot of money. I thought the purchases of Sane and Jesus were smart last season. Buying defenders was just obvious and you could ask why 4 full backs were allowed to play on almost to the point of retirement, that was not smart.

Means absolutely fuck all until we’ve either won something, or we haven’t. Could prove to have been a great series of transfers, could prove to be the complete opposite. Trophies. That’s the only measure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.