Expected Goal

That was my point. He didn't score goals that were half chances last season, or if he did they were cancelled out by the number of sitters he missed. Hence his ratio of actual goals vs expected goals was relatively low.

As I say, I'm confused by this
I read it that Aguero was expected to score 20.5 (don't know how you can score half a goal) And he got 20
So surely the half/difficult chances are taken into account
It's not relatively low if he came in as predicted

Everyone else had a blinder of a season

No offence taken, my take on it was that it just confirmed what we saw with our own eyes. Most clubs use this stuff extensively these days which suggests they believe it is worthwhile.

Ive no issue with club professionals maybe using it to assess players but it's when fans do it and use some obscure random stst to profess x player better than y that gets my goat to be honest mate but each to their own.

Me.....i like to see what going on with my own eyes to be fair and if the keeper can save a few, defenders defend, midfielders win and create and strikers bang it in the back of the net i'm more than happy.

Ive no issue with club professionals maybe using it to assess players but it's when fans do it and use some obscure random stst to profess x player better than y that gets my goat to be honest mate but each to their own.

Me.....i like to see what going on with my own eyes to be fair and if the keeper can save a few, defenders defend, midfielders win and create and strikers bang it in the back of the net i'm more than happy.
Having used stats a lot in my career, generally to 'prove' things that are not readily seen, I confess I am a bit of a geek. I think they can be useful in football when used in conjunction with experience and intelligence. I agree with you though that they are often not used in that way!

As I say, I'm confused by this
I read it that Aguero was expected to score 20.5 (don't know how you can score half a goal) And he got 20
So surely the half/difficult chances are taken into account
It's not relatively low if he came in as predicted

Everyone else had a blinder of a season
Its low in relation to his peers. That's the point.

Stats overkill. I'll just watch the football and watch whether they miss or score.

I don't watch others, kinda bored of watching football, but watching us would be quite enough to confirm these stats. Our wastefulness last season was colossal and looking at some preseason games, it's still something to be concerned with.

People can claim all they want about Aguero's 20 goals last season but I'd expect that from any decent striker as regular starter for City. Nobody can create the amount of huge chances we're able to do and that will be even more significant this season. if Kun and Jesus don't score 50 goals between them if fit for whole season, then they wouldn't do it good imo.

This team is the most creative football machine on the Earth this moment and if we manage to have any decent conversion of chances that will come from that creativity, nobody in the league will even have a chance to have a sniff at our ass, we'll win it that comfortably.

The one more thing we have to do better to score goals is to have more players in the box at right time. Last 2-3 seasons we had zillion of situations when we'd went through wings just to not have anyone inside 5-10m from goal. I believe Jesus will fill that gap better this season though.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.