Happy 65th Birthday Tony Wilson

There were many indie labels before Mr. Wilson started factory and have been since, to say he is the be all and end all is a bit extreme -

Stiff Records
Rough Trade
Cherry Red
Respond
Jamming
Go Discs

that I can remember
We were discussing Creation/Oasis though.

Not much love for Tony on here. He made a huge contribution to the music scene in Manchester, there would've been no Hacienda without him. Met him a couple of times and thought he was OK (for a rag).

Typical contrary forum bile.

Anyone with any understanding of Youth Culture respects the enormous contribution Wilson - and Gretton, Saville, Erasmus, Hannet, Pickering et al, made to Manchester.

We all thought he was a twat at the time, but he was our twat, and Factory were revolutionary. And he was the money man and the figurehead.

He made one enormous mistake: the biggest youth revolution In a generation took place right under his nose at the Hac, but he thought it was a flash in the pan and didn't cash in.

But he has been canonised on the back of his contribution, and rightly so.

Just as pretentious and supercilious in person as he appeared on TV I Couldn't stand the Rag myself but this is good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.