Squad shape/formations

Three CB's is overkill when we control pretty much the entirety of each game. I would love to see us revert back to a 4-3-3 as follows:

Walker Komps Stones Danilo
Dave KDB Silva
Raheem Jesus Leroy

KDB and Dave are more than capable of putting a foot in and with the amount of possession we have, I think we could get away without a midfield destroyer/pivot/whatever you want to call it. Leroy has to play further up the pitch, LWB is killing him.

With the players we have, 3-5-2, or even 3-6-1, is perfect for me considering most of the teams will go for total defence and as long as Leroy is not the first option LWB. He was asked earlier in the year about that possibility and if I remember he said he did not like that idea. It is only two games in the season and it is obvious Pep wants our offensive middle field player receiving the ball while 'in position' and not having to track 20-30 yards back to pick it up. Clue - Yaya was not in the starting 11 in neither of the games. I am loving it how we play.

But the formation doesn't work. Watch that first half again. Wing backs neither attacking or defending. No passing between the lines. Kun and Jesus dropping deep or stood waiting-absolutely no width, no space for our playmakers. AND worst of all, you play 3 central defenders against a defensive team and your central defenders are always on the bloody ball. Its crap. Ditch it Pep.

Three CB's is overkill when we control pretty much the entirety of each game. I would love to see us revert back to a 4-3-3 as follows:

Dave KDB Silva
Raheem Jesus Leroy

KDB and Dave are more than capable of putting a foot in and with the amount of possession we have, I think we could get away without a midfield destroyer/pivot/whatever you want to call it. Leroy has to play further up the pitch, LWB is killing him.
Silva and kdb should not play together period.
Both of them are shit when we lose the ball.

disagree as playing that means we will have to keep an extra creative mid on the bench. Be surprised if we dont switch back to a four either next week or after the internationals.

i personally see 3-5-2 as the default at home to anyone but United/Chelsea/Spurs. Maybe Liverpool. So i think 3-5-2 at home at least 12 maybe 14 times. Away at the strugglers as well.

The system is terrible for the players we have. Utterly baffling that he's had all summer,spent a shitload and we look so slow and ponderous in this system. No fault of the players either because who would expect a centre back to create in the final 3rd?
I am going to have a rant !!.
Oh f*ck it - I cannt be bothered - except to say Sane is not - and will f*ckin' never be a wing back.

Dave KDB Silva
Raheem Jesus Leroy

This is the problem that team has only 2 players whose main role is defending. The 3 central midfielders are not in their natural positions and Gabriel has been omitted.

Playing 4 at the back with 2 attacking full backs and just picking 6 attack minded players is asking for trouble.

Cannot see Guardiola abandoning 3-5-2 until he has used it with the players he bought to use it. However, in both league games the space behind the full backs has been exploited, and better teams with better forwards will do so as well.

New member so go easy on me.

Since DeJong and Barry left we seem to have a void between the midfield and the defence, which when teams attack us on the counter becomes all to apparent and leaves us looking stretched. I know Pep doesn't do spoiler type players, but a good reader of the game sat just in front of the back four would make us more solid and a compact. With the added pace of our full backs I've often thought that if we signed a top quality centre half (not Evans) that Vinny would be ideal for the job in the same way as Phillip Lahm.

was going to start a seperate thread but might as well out it in here.

Looking at out striking options (without getting into the merits of individuals we already have across the front line wnd attacking midfielders) do people think thst we need a different option..ie a target man. Pep didnt have this at barcs but he did have at Bayern. Arsenal, utd and spurs all have thar option ( lukaku. giroud and kane/ ali all get their fair share of goals frim high balls into the box)

ive seen people in here ( and im one of them) wonder how utd get results against teams we struggle to break diwn...thr answrr ix clearly that putting 10 men on the edge of the area works agsinst teams that want to play our style but it does nothing agaist teams that will slung over crosses frim 15-20 yds inside thd attacking half......sitting in the edge of the penalty area actuslly encourages this.

i would rather see us play our brand of football but we msy struggle...its hugely difficult against teams who park the bus ( and that is going to be the vast majority of them)

Do we need that target man....i personally dont want to but if we are talking aboyt increasing our chsnces of success tjen maybe we should....however it seems clear from the attacking options that Pep has been looking at this summer ( sanchez and mbappe) that he wont go down that road

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.