Eliaquim Mangala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very comfortable having Mangala as our 4th CB, because if truth be known, it could be a lot worse. What we now need to do is concentrate our efforts on a world class CB, Sanchez & another LB to cover for Mendy in the next 2 windows & then we need to think about the successions of Silva, Yaya, Kompany, Fernandinho & Aguero.

Aguero has another 4 years left in him and Kompany has another 2-3 at most taking his injury record into account. Yaya may only have another 1 maybe 2 and Fernandinho possibly 2-3. We mostly have back ups for these, but when they move on, we need like for like replacements so the team can evolve. In this respect, we need to make Sanchez & VVD our priorities.
Think you are overestimating a bit, my guess would be end of next season for Aguero, end of this season for Toure and probably Fernandinho. Silva 2 more years but we could already have his replacement with Bernardo, Foden and Brahim. Kompany could be anything from 1-3 years.

Think you are overestimating a bit, my guess would be end of next season for Aguero, end of this season for Toure and probably Fernandinho. Silva 2 more years but we could already have his replacement with Bernardo, Foden and Brahim. Kompany could be anything from 1-3 years.
It all depends on performances as we've already seen. Yes Bernardo was obviously signed as Silva's long term replacement, but I Silva were to retire today, beyond Bernardo & KDB, we'd be short of options as Foden & Brahim clearly aren't ready yet.

What I suggested isn't my gospel, but it's based on us bidding for big name players in the future to replace the retiring big name players we currently have and not having to make the wholesale changes we made this summer.

It all depends on performances as we've already seen. Yes Bernardo was obviously signed as Silva's long term replacement, but I Silva were to retire today, beyond Bernardo & KDB, we'd be short of options as Foden & Brahim clearly aren't ready yet.

What I suggested isn't my gospel, but it's based on us bidding for big name players in the future to replace the retiring big name players we currently have and not having to make the wholesale changes we made this summer.
Bit off topic so just say this.Depends on January but I think if we had got Sanchez and Evans then next summer we would have gone for 2 C.M, 1 CB and a left back 4 in total. Unless we do it in January we would probably need another C.B and a forward so 6 which is a bit more wholesale than I think the club wanted in a world cup summer, so I'd expect us to be a bit more active in January than we are normally.

you hope we get injuries?
No but he could force his way in via cup competitions etc. 60+ games and 4 centre backs. He will get game time and I hope he comes good.

Training with Pep and doing rondos every day can only help his passing.

Edit. Just seen the guy you replied to originally made mention of injuries and then edited it and I hadn't seen.

I think he will get game time, but only in cup competitions. Also if he is ok with being the 4th choice CB I would even recommend keeping him until the end of the season. I don't think he would be that bad if he is far down the pecking order.

yes I agree with you on this. His passes need to be worked on because there is a player in there somewhere. Let's not forget he was instrumental in our 7 win stretch with 5 clean sheets a big part was from him. He settled better with Demichelis and there were 1 or two games when some of us thought he should he MoTM rather than the goalscorer. He was started to be blamed on mistakes that were made by a very poor Clichy, and even Zaba made a mistake that Mangala was blamed for. He was just 23 then and the passes should be coached in him, as much as how we are giving Stones time. Well Pep is, because Stones is his player while Mangala is Pellers.

and his passing is not entirely hopeless. people are quick to forget his accurate diagonals, one of them being a 60 yard pass that found Aguero pass the backline. i think it was QPR 2014 or was it Hull.

his passing is suspect, but to put Tosin as better than him on it is crazy. From watching EDS Half of Tosin' passes after his tackles go to the opposing player.
Like I say it seems to be concentration half the time. And he actually passes better with his right foot seemingly. He's an odd player to watch, I hope he succeeds as he seems to have a great attitude, but I just don't see him getting used by Pep at all.

Left back or left centre half. He can do a job. Has lots of pace too. He will do well if he doesn't have to worry about covering the mistakes of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.