Motorhome

I bought a 2007 Swift Suntor 590RS around 16 months ago with 37k on the clock. It is 5 berth, 4 travelling seats, full kitchen and bathroom, heating etc. 6.3m long and quite easy to drive. Plenty of room for the 2 of us and the youngest if they come as well.
Key thing to make sure you have is a full cab service history , habitation service and most importantly of all a bang up to date damp report.
Make sure you have enough storage for the stuff you want to do.
Some vans have been converted to LPG so you can fill up at petrol stations instead of gas bottles for a fifth of the cost is a good idea if you intend to do a lot of wild camping.
Plenty of facebook sites for free camping or out of the way places. In summer, best to look and book in advance. Prices range from £15 per night to £35 per night depending on time of year and facilities.
Autotrader have a lot for sale on their site, mainly dealer, and you can tailor your search to suit your needs.
Going to Aberystwyth this weekend for the university openday.
We used to camp but the thought now of turning in at night to a damp cold dark tent is frightening.
It aint cheap so don't think of the cost only the freedom.
Cheers mate, got the auto trader ap for motor homes, for some strange reason they seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper down south that up here, heard of a place called Parbold in Wigan which is meant to be a decent trader, might have a run out there next week, haven't got a clue about habitation or damp report which is leaning me more to buying from a trader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Emmbee, a few within our price range but most are 40-60k gulp

Lots of dosh but as I have explained to my missus you can't look at the full value as long as you can afford the full amount or the finance... it's all about the depreciation... if you are happy to lose the £1000-1500 per year (assumed loss) then why not buy one...

Hopefully not flawed logic

Lots of dosh but as I have explained to my missus you can't look at the full value as long as you can afford the full amount or the finance... it's all about the depreciation... if you are happy to lose the £1000-1500 per year (assumed loss) then why not buy one...

Hopefully not flawed logic
Yeah need to have a look into it i suppose, thought 15-18k might be enough to get us a decent first one, i am just completely clueless about it, obviously need to put a lot more research into it than i thought.

It's good to see people getting out and about and a motorhome is the ideal way to see the countryside at your leisure. There is no finer way to see the sights and sounds of the towns and villages aimlessly meandering along the country lanes, just stay the fuck out of Snowdonia. And any caravaners that might be reading.

Any specific mountain passes you want us to avoid?
Pass Roads
Name Canton(s)/Country From - To Built/Opened Elevation(m) Max. gradient Type
Umbrail Graubünden/Italy Santa Maria Val Müstair GR - Stelvio Pass IT 1901 2501 12% road
Nufenen Valais/Ticino Ulrichen VS - Airolo TI 1965 - 1969 2478 13% road
Grand St. Bernard Valais Martigny VS - Aosta IT 1905 2469 11% road/tunnel
Furka Uri/Valais Realp UR - Oberwald VS 1867 2431 11% road
Flüela Graubünden Davos - Susch 1866 - 1867 2383 10% road
Bernina Graubünden Samedan - Poschiavo 1842 - 1865 2328 10% road
Livigno Graubünden/Italy La Motta GR - Livigno IT 2315 12% road
Albula Graubünden Filisur - La Punt 1855 - 1865 2312 12% road
Julier Graubünden Tiefencastel - Silvaplana 1820 - 1840 2284 10% road
Susten Bern/Uri Innertkirchen BE - Wassen UR 1938 - 1945 2224 9% road
Grimsel Bern/Valais Innertkirchen BE - Gletsch VS 1894 2165 10% road
Ofen (Fuorn Pass) Graubünden Zernez - Sta. Maria 1871 2149 10% road
Splügen Graubünden/Italy Splügen GR - Chiavenna IT 1821 - 1823 2113 10% road
St. Gotthard Uri/Ticino Göschenen UR - Airolo TI 1827 - 1830-1980 2108 8% road/motorway tunnel
San Bernardino Graubünden/Ticino Thusis GR - Bellinzona TI 1821 - 1823 1967 2065 10% road/motorway tunnel
Oberalp Graubünden/Uri Disentis GR - Andermatt UR 1862 - 1863 2044 10% road
Simplon Valais/Italy Brig VS - Domodossola IT 1800 - 1805 2005 9% road

With age of van you are looking at and price range the frame and panels are usually made of wood or composite so are susceptible to damp and rot.
Newer models are aluminium and plastics mainly so less likely to have damp issues. But then the cost is £40k plus to buy one.

Motorhomes are great fun I've had three all bought from new. One thing that many people don.t do is push very hard for discount at the dealership. Upto 20 % should be achievable with persistency. Go to the NEC in October (17th to 20th) find the ones you like and play off all the dealers on price then buy from as local as you can. Motorhomes are not like cars when it comes to warranty issues, a dealer who hasnt sold you the motorhome in the first place is not that interested in sorting any issues you may find. Good dealers I have experience with are Spinney motorhomes in Holmes Chapel and Todds motorhomes in Preston. Check out the Tribute make they are great value and very well spec'd. Motorhome depreciation is a lot lower than on cars you could buy one for £30k and still get £20k back in 10 years. If your using mainly with your wife and kids get one with an overcab double bed, the kids love having a room upstairs!!!! Join the caravan club, that gives you access to great sites at reasonable prices and also their certified locations (no more than 5 vans per site) which are basic but tend to start at £10 per night including electric hookup. Make sure you get a good size fridge!! Going to Cheltenham races with the lads every year all with a cold one in hand is a treat. Just buy one you will not regret it.

Motorhomes are great fun I've had three all bought from new. One thing that many people don.t do is push very hard for discount at the dealership. Upto 20 % should be achievable with persistency. Go to the NEC in October (17th to 20th) find the ones you like and play off all the dealers on price then buy from as local as you can. Motorhomes are not like cars when it comes to warranty issues, a dealer who hasnt sold you the motorhome in the first place is not that interested in sorting any issues you may find. Good dealers I have experience with are Spinney motorhomes in Holmes Chapel and Todds motorhomes in Preston. Check out the Tribute make they are great value and very well spec'd. Motorhome depreciation is a lot lower than on cars you could buy one for £30k and still get £20k back in 10 years. If your using mainly with your wife and kids get one with an overcab double bed, the kids love having a room upstairs!!!! Join the caravan club, that gives you access to great sites at reasonable prices and also their certified locations (no more than 5 vans per site) which are basic but tend to start at £10 per night including electric hookup. Make sure you get a good size fridge!! Going to Cheltenham races with the lads every year all with a cold one in hand is a treat. Just buy one you will not regret it.
Cheers buddy and the kids have already asked for the bed above the cab

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.