Froome

Helluva turnaround from him.
At 26 he was on the verge of being dumped from his contract. He was absolutely shit

He wasn't 'absolutely shit' at all, 5th in a Commonwealth Games TT for example, but I know what you're getting at. What seems to muddy the waters for some is his diagnosis for bilharzia, and his subsequent treatment. I'm no medical expert & have no idea what his treatment was, and if it would have had side benefit/spin offs. Presumably being cured of the illness itself would have given him some kind of boost in itself, if he'd previously been performing with that handicap. I need to read up a bit more on the condition.

“He had qualities other dopers did not have.” What would they be? An ability not to get caught? Kelly has always been full blown omertà on drugs. I don’t blame him. It would kill his legacy if he admitted to taking them. Yes, he was one tough bastard, yes, he was brilliant all year round, but let’s not forget, he was caught. Soemthing that can’t be said of Greg Lemond, the only cyclist I would ever bet my son’s life on being clean.

I believe you referred to some of Kelly's qualities. Of course, I would add aggression.

As for Lemond, I can understand why many think he is clean. However, could he have been clean and successful when so many others at the time were doping? Was he some kind of super athlete?

Lots of rumours around froome at the minute re mechanical doping not just medicinal

I must admit I've seen vids where it's been highlighted that just look odd

I believe you referred to some of Kelly's qualities. Of course, I would add aggression.

As for Lemond, I can understand why many think he is clean. However, could he have been clean and successful when so many others at the time were doping? Was he some kind of super athlete?
I honestly think Lemond was a freak - his VO2 is, I believe (but stand to be corrected), the highest ever recorded. Check out the video of him blowing up a tyre! It’s possibly a spoof but it taps into the widely held view that he had the lungs of a blue whale. He did win at a time others were doped but I don’t think the doping gave the riders as huge an advantage as what followed (EPO, blood transfusions). I was being slightly disingenuous about Kelly; I loved following him at his peak. Kelly winning Paris-Nice was always my cue to start getting the longer rides in. And he won across such a wide range: Milan San Remo, Roubaix, Paris Nice. And you’re absolutely right - so aggressive. His descent to win Milan San Remo and catch Argentin (I think) is one of the best you could ever wish to see. Utterly breathtaking. Great rider.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.