Is it time for City to move on from Kompany & Toure?

Problem is, Yaya should have been moved on years ago, and Kompany should have had a top class replacement (even if we kept Vince too) years ago - so we're behind where we 'should' and could be
Yaya contributed to us last season once he for back in the team I am sure he will do this season he is class player.

We have been trying to get a replacement for Kompany for the last 2 to 3 seasons and I think Stones will be that man.

Would love both players to stay, but if Pep wants to focus on a relatively small squad he cannot carry a couple of players with ongoing fitness issues.

What has Toure done? Issue with Kompany seems clear, even if we don't know when he'll be back. Maybe Toure is just staying back so he can play a part in the Watford game? I would not have expected him to play at Feyenoord. I saw fans saying they'd play him against Liverpool but for me he can't play at that level now. He's a squad player who can do a job after CL away games and in the Cups. Maybe that's all we're seeing now? A realisation of his current role. He's not a 1st choice player.

Pep did rather hang him out to dry with his comments. If it was always part of the plan to leave him out of the squads for Liverpool & Feynoord, Pep whould have used a completly different form of words.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/pep-guardiola-yaya-toure-issue-13611179

It seems Pep's issues with Yaya have resurfaced again. I wondered why we hadn't seen Toure throughout pre-season, however the match he played against WHU started me thinking, & the above article confirmed my thoughts.

Against WHU, Toure looked like the Toure of 2015-16. He was slow, looked overweight & laboured in everything he did. After a difficult beginning to last season, Toure came in after the injury to Gundogan & proved such an asset that his contract was extended, but now it seems we're back to where we were with him 12 months ago.

Both he & Kompany are the epitome of the post Abu Dhabi era, but with Kompany seemingly pissing off the club again by getting injured in a meaningless International friendly, has the time now arrived for City to replace them both & move on with the Pep era?

This season was always likely to be Toure's last in any case, but I believe our years of reliance on them both & sentiment is holding us back from properly moving on.

FFP has also meant we had to keep some of our older players probably a season or 2 beyond their use by date, but I think the time has now come for us to cut them both adrift at the end of this season.

Only Aguero & Silva remain from the 2012 title winning team & they both have at least another 2 seasons in them imo, but sadly, I can't bring myself to say the same for Kompany & Toure.
One thing you had to say about the GPC was he knew when to move players on unfortunately we don't seem able to let go. Mention selling a fans favourite and you are immediately dissed on the forum whilst at the same time other threads criticise the club about not getting value in the market could that be we hold on too long?

One thing you had to say about the GPC was he knew when to move players on unfortunately we don't seem able to let go. Mention selling a fans favourite and you are immediately dissed on the forum whilst at the same time other threads criticise the club about not getting value in the market could that be we hold on too long?
I'd suggest that if not for FFP, Guardiola would have made provisions already. As it stands, keeping both for another season would make perfect sense, but our priority next summer has to be to replace them & then start to look for replacements for Fernandinho, Silva & Aguero.

We can no longer afford to wait until we HAVE to replace players before doing so. Their replacements should be in place minimum a season or two before they supersede their predecessors..

I don't think we get rid of Kompany but I do think we bring in a new number one CB, it's a higher priority than a striker for sure.

Toure's gone after this year. Kompany ain't retiring before a world cup, afterwards though it would surely be the only sensible thing to do. His City career may depend on it but we'll see how this season goes (he may be written off before then)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.