Scottish Guy arrested in Dubai, UAE

SWP's back

A Scot is facing three years in jail in Dubai after claiming he touched a man's hip while trying to avoid spilling his drink in a crowded bar.

The "cultural misunderstanding" has left Jamie Harron, of Stirling, stuck in the emirate for three months facing jail, jobless and in huge amounts of debt.

Mr Harron, 27, has spent more than £32,000 in expenses and legal fees trying to resolve the matter while he was also been stripped of his documents.

The electrician was in Dubai on a two-day stopover while flying back to work in Afghanistan.

He has been held in the United Arab Emirates since July 15 on two charges of drinking alcohol and public indecency. His passport was seized when he was released on bail.

Mr Harron had a drink with friends at the Rock Bottom Bar in Dubai, a popular venue in Tecom.

He and his friend had bought their first drink in the crowded bar when he says he placed his hand on the hip of man to ensure they did not bump and spill their drinks.

Police turned up and arrested Mr Harron, who claims he was jailed not knowing the charge.

He said a prosecutor later told him he had been charged with drinking alcohol and "public indecency".

Jamie denies the latter charge, claiming his only intention was to avoid spilling a drink.

Tourists who consume alcohol (legally) at licensed venues in Dubai can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system.

Most visitors are not aware of this and a number of British nationals have been caught out by the contradictory application of the law.

Since the initial arrest, Mr Harron has been sacked from his job in Afghanistan and is now relying on charity from friends for accommodation.

He was due to attend court on Sunday but said the meeting was held in private without his lawyers being informed.

He said: "I am really stunned that it has gone that far. I have witnesses who are willing to present themselves in court, even the bouncer at the bar.

"I cannot believe I am facing these allegations when I followed the laws in their entirety.

"Now it is possible that I will be arrested on Sunday for failing to appear at a court hearing that neither I nor my lawyer, were advised of."

After being arrested, Mr Harron was held in Al Barsha prison, where he claims he was not allowed to wash himself or brush his teeth.

He said he was left in a "foul smelling" cell with another eight nationalities sleeping on the floor with "one revolting mattress between them all".

Mr Harron was bailed but claims his passport was confiscated so that he could not leave the country.

He claims he missed the "secret hearing" because he did not know anything about it.

——————————

Lots may be wrong with the UK but the UAE is a joke when it comes to justice.

A Scot is facing three years in jail in Dubai after claiming he touched a man's hip while trying to avoid spilling his drink in a crowded bar.

The "cultural misunderstanding" has left Jamie Harron, of Stirling, stuck in the emirate for three months facing jail, jobless and in huge amounts of debt.

Mr Harron, 27, has spent more than £32,000 in expenses and legal fees trying to resolve the matter while he was also been stripped of his documents.

The electrician was in Dubai on a two-day stopover while flying back to work in Afghanistan.

He has been held in the United Arab Emirates since July 15 on two charges of drinking alcohol and public indecency. His passport was seized when he was released on bail.

Mr Harron had a drink with friends at the Rock Bottom Bar in Dubai, a popular venue in Tecom.

He and his friend had bought their first drink in the crowded bar when he says he placed his hand on the hip of man to ensure they did not bump and spill their drinks.

Police turned up and arrested Mr Harron, who claims he was jailed not knowing the charge.

He said a prosecutor later told him he had been charged with drinking alcohol and "public indecency".

Jamie denies the latter charge, claiming his only intention was to avoid spilling a drink.

Tourists who consume alcohol (legally) at licensed venues in Dubai can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system.

Most visitors are not aware of this and a number of British nationals have been caught out by the contradictory application of the law.

Since the initial arrest, Mr Harron has been sacked from his job in Afghanistan and is now relying on charity from friends for accommodation.

He was due to attend court on Sunday but said the meeting was held in private without his lawyers being informed.

He said: "I am really stunned that it has gone that far. I have witnesses who are willing to present themselves in court, even the bouncer at the bar.

"I cannot believe I am facing these allegations when I followed the laws in their entirety.

"Now it is possible that I will be arrested on Sunday for failing to appear at a court hearing that neither I nor my lawyer, were advised of."

After being arrested, Mr Harron was held in Al Barsha prison, where he claims he was not allowed to wash himself or brush his teeth.

He said he was left in a "foul smelling" cell with another eight nationalities sleeping on the floor with "one revolting mattress between them all".

Mr Harron was bailed but claims his passport was confiscated so that he could not leave the country.

He claims he missed the "secret hearing" because he did not know anything about it.

——————————

Lots may be wrong with the UK but the UAE is a joke when it comes to justice.
Don't know all the facts of this story and lots seems to be wrong in the scenario regardless. But would doing something like this in U.K. be considered sexual harassment?

Don't know all the facts of this story and lots seems to be wrong in the scenario regardless. But would doing something like this in U.K. be considered sexual harassment?
Bloody hell i hope not, half of the population would be arrested on a night out.

I’m more bothered that they allow you to buy hugely over priced beer then arrest you and charge you for having alcohol in your system.

But no I very much doubt anyone would be charged with sexual harassment for that.

I’m more bothered that they allow you to buy hugely over priced beer then arrest you and charge you for having alcohol in your system.

But no I very much doubt anyone would be charged with sexual harassment for that.
Well guardian have got it right. They know what their target audience want to read or would be more bothered about.

It is odd to have a charge like that but does it really exist?

Well guardian have got it right. They know what their target audience want to read or would be more bothered about.

It is odd to have a charge like that but does it really exist?
Say what now? Are you saying I’m a guardian reader?

And you’re asking if that really is an offence in the UAE?

Certainly is, so is using social media to state you have sympathy with Qatar during the current diplomatic row between the two. That one carries a 15 year sentence. The UAE is light years behind the West when it comes to free speech or free anything for that matter.

Say what now? Are you saying I’m a guardian reader?

And you’re asking if that really is an offence in the UAE?

Certainly is, so is using social media to state you have sympathy with Qatar during the current diplomatic row between the two. That one carries a 15 year sentence. The UAE is light years behind the West when it comes to free speech or free anything for that matter.
Agree that they are behind. And nothing wrong with being a guardian reader, I am one. I am genuinely asking if that really is an offence in UAE ? Or is that a guardian summarised version of a more complicated offence? As far as other offences you mentioned, they are just distracting from the offence in question in this situation so not really interested in them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.