Kaka to City article

Never forgiven how Milan as a club acted towards us during that time. In the end sold him for about 40 million less in the summer. That football club can get fucked as far as I am concerned.

Don't think him not coming hindered us but I do wonder where his balls were hiding. He just wanted to have an easy life and would have been imho a shocking cry baby buy for us.

At the time was really excited at little old city signing him for what was then a massive upgrade on the current world record transfer fee. But part of me was worried we were going to make ourselves looks stupid if it did not work out. With hindsight the latter would have been the consequence so it was a bullet dodged. It was an amazing time to be a city supporter, we were buying players for big money left right and centre and were still to win anything but we were improving and the games were exciting. One amusing part of the whole affair was the fallout after his decision to stay at Milan, rags were laughing that the best player in the world had turned us down! Alan Shearer anyone? Ronaldinho?
I always thought Kaka was more of a luxury player which is why he thrived in strong teams. He was never the player the squad needed, but a player the club wanted to raise its global profile.

Thankfully, we did it without Kaka as he would have been a £100m version of Robinho. As you say, we dodged a bullet, but with the caveat of hindsight.

Last edited:
One of those fascinating Sliding Doors moments. How would the future have panned out for Kaka and, more importantly, City if he had signed? Would we have embarked on a Madrid-esque galactico transfer policy rather than the slightly more pragmatic approach that followed?

Don't really blame him for the decision he made at the time to be honest though. Milan and City circa 2009 were very different animals to what we see now. Don't really get the resentment towards him.
^^This^^

Realistically, could we really blame him for putting his career ahead of money & playing for a totally unknown quantity?

It would be today's equivalent of Fiorentina putting in a £350m bid for KDB, City accepting it, KDB turning it down, but feeling unwanted moving on to Barca a season later where his career then crashed & burned.

I don't get the resentment of him either, it was brilliant being linked with big money signings when we hadn't even won anything for 30+ years. It was an exciting period, we're now in a more exciting period.

He speaks well and I understand why he didn't want to leave at the time. I've no doubt he'd jump at the opportunity had it come around today. Who knows how he would have turned out had he come to us.

I think it did teach our club to be a bit more tactful in future transfer negotiations though. Had we signed him we probably would have gone down the galactico/PSG route whereas I'm much happier with the way we've done it; adopting a style on the pitch that then dictates the players we need.

Yep. In 2009 we were still some way from being the finished article in terms of a championship challenging club. And Milan were still a very strong club. You might have been able to see which way then wind was blowing but I can understand why Kaka chose not to come at the time...projects like ours have imploded at other clubs who have been taken over by supposed billionaire benefactors.

I think though even just a year later he'd have made a different call.

for me it would have been the worst thing for manchester city to do and the so called big clubs would have pulled rank a lot quicker with the FFP and stop any big moves when the club was only just in the building stage i think we got it right and built in the right way and when mancini was manager it was the hardest job in football and he had to get rid of the players who was here for the just the money and KAKA would have been one of them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.