Article on Attrition Rate of Young Footballers

have

We haven't done to bad. But fuck me thats a lot of players.

There will be god knows how many more i've missed too that played a solitary u18s game in 2014 or whatever. We signed a LOT of overseas youngsters a few years back, which you can see on that. We also tend to take on 10 new 1st year scholars every year on average and many hung around for a bit so you can easily see how it ends up bloating hugely. It got too big recently and i'm just glad we're actually trimming these squads now big time. The squads are a lot smaller now and instead rely on playing younger players up if we need a player.

I can give a good insight to this if anyone has anyone questions. One of my good friends was at City from 12 -15 but didn't get offered a scholarship. He then moved to preston and got a scholarship but didn't get a pro contract 16-17. Took him a good few years to get on the right track outside of football and he still doesn't know what he wants to do now being 19.

It's a really interesting article, but I just can't ever take it too seriously when it's written by David Conn. His only purpose is to generate debate and speculation by appealing to the 'morality' of the modern football supporter.

It's silly I know. Heck, if that article was penned by a different author I might even have been singing its praises. But that's how credibility works unfortunately..

It's a really interesting article, but I just can't ever take it too seriously when it's written by David Conn. His only purpose is to generate debate and speculation by appealing to the 'morality' of the modern football supporter.
Why is that a negative? Surely it's better that the general standard of clickbait we get from most football "journalists"?

It's silly I know. Heck, if that article was penned by a different author I might even have been singing its praises. But that's how credibility works unfortunately..
Conn has been and is capable of writing very good football articles, just because he has a bee in his bonnet on certain issues it doesn't mean you should just dismiss his writing out of hand.

There's a great book, 'No Hunger In Paradise' by Michael Calvin that looks at the academy system and how young players get treated. Well worth a read if you're interested.

Just a heads up that there is TV documentary which mirrors the book 'No Hunger in Paradise' that's available to watch for free via BTsports website.

BT Sport Films: No Hunger in Paradise <-- link is here and it's on the right hand side under 'Best of BT Sport'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.