What differentiates top level players and the others?

One thing...you sometimes hear of young players rejected because they are "too small". Strachan blamed lack of height for Scotland failure. This total bollux. Messi is 5 feet 7 inches. Spain is full of diminutive stars.
As a single physical factor, pace is the most devastating attribute. Makes you wonder how Samaras got picked up, but Vardy didn't, at least until late. How tall was ASA?

sometime its just down to a manager and player its that fine line if you get the backing from a manager it can lift you to another level and from championship to premier league a good player can become a top player also it helps when your team is full of world class players

Do not underestimate the factor of "fitting in the team" both in terms if strategy, communication and attitude. Various formations and tactics optimally require specific types of players that fit their function and it's certaintly possible to get more limited quality out of a player for not playing a style that uses all his attribute's. I think wingbacks and wingers are a good example of this, inside forwards for example are very often required to be 2 footed and will often play with backs going high up the pitch whereas with normal wingers the backs might stay back more. You can have a great defensive back underperform by asking too much of him going forward, and a great all round back underperform by keeping him back too much.

Afcourse optimally teams take perfect players for their strategy's. But these strategy's often chance, if only say because a new manager wants to take a different approach, which will often result in some players needing to play a role that is not perfectly suited for them.

Character, culture and languaghe can play a role too. You might not want too take in too much of a joker of a player in a serious and proffesional player group. You might consider to not take a great player in simply because you fear it will lack in terms of communication, etc.

Last edited:
Big eyes.
elam.jpg

I remember a foreign scout ( I think South American) saying there are many out there at Messi's level compared to when he was younger, but it is desire and hard work that filters the likes of Messi and some of the others

I think it's down to two things:
- How well they can spot movement on the field
- How quickly they react to this movement

That applies to all players really.

Three things;-
1. Decision making
2. Decision making
3. Decision making

The elite players play the game a few steps ahead of the rest, they can see how a situation will pan out and know where to be and more importantly what to do when the moment arrives.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.