Crazy decisions of years gone by.

Yeah, it was a decision that didn't work out , but it wasn't obviously crazy , he'd had quite a lot of success as a manager at the time. I was pretty optimistic about it at the time and remember posting to that effect on MCVITA.
Even retrospectively it was hardly a disastrous decision he didn't stay long enough to do any harm.

Personally i don't think we should ever appoint ex rags as city managers. I couldn't take to Hughes for that reason alone.

Personally i don't think we should ever appoint ex rags as city managers. I couldn't take to Hughes for that reason alone.
Understand your point of view but don't completely agree with it. The scum would not have got where they are without Busby .
I am a forgiving kind of a guy and will forgive past indiscretions providing they are not complete A***holes like Keane or Giggs.

For me as a 50-year old and therefore plenty of events to reflect upon, there can be little doubt the the biggest cock-up in a club famous for them was the bringing back of Malcolm Allison in 1978 and the subsequent train-wreck of a 'team rebuilding' that took place thereafter. The financial implications of this alone caused havoc at both boardroom and dressing room level for years and weakened a club which had been amongst the strongest on the division for some years previously. All the other stuff, the loss in 81, the relegation's in 83, 87, 96 & 98, the 'Forward with Franny' disaster, all the managerial changes and half-arsed failings essentially stem from that decision in '78.

For me as a 50-year old and therefore plenty of events to reflect upon, there can be little doubt the the biggest cock-up in a club famous for them was the bringing back of Malcolm Allison in 1978 and the subsequent train-wreck of a 'team rebuilding' that took place thereafter. The financial implications of this alone caused havoc at both boardroom and dressing room level for years and weakened a club which had been amongst the strongest on the division for some years previously. All the other stuff, the loss in 81, the relegation's in 83, 87, 96 & 98, the 'Forward with Franny' disaster, all the managerial changes and half-arsed failings essentially stem from that decision in '78.
I'm a bit older than you but completely concur.Every club makes mistakes but that one was a real disaster from which we never really recovered until the last takeover.
Mind the mistake might have been getting in Swales which allowed the disaster to happen.

I'm a bit older than you but completely concur.Every club makes mistakes but that one was a real disaster from which we never really recovered until the last takeover.
Mind the mistake might have been getting in Swales which allowed the disaster to happen.

It's funny really - I was a small child at that time and remember my father ranting about Allison's return. My first ever game was the home cup match to Palace in '81 and he was their manager by then. I'd never seen my father so angry (me being naughty not included), he raged about how he'd destroyed the club and so on. As a naive child I had no idea, but you're spot on, it all stemmed from that time, the time when for me the club could do nothing wrong of course. The slightly sad bit was that apart from taking me, my father thenceforth somewhat fell out of love with City - and he was one of those who went to Newcastle to watch the league title win.

Selling Mark Lillis for buttons , City born and bred would die for the cause and was a half decent centre forward , the decision really tested my commitment to the club at the time , it totally pissed me off , we were going nowhere fast and selling our best players to keep afloat .If you had told me we would be one of the best clubs in europe in my lifetime , i would have sent for the men in white coats.

One above all. Failing to sort out the rift between Mercer & Allison in the early 1970's. Because of that, Mal got someone who supported him to buy a large chunk of shares and effectively combine with other directors to force Mercer out. That started the boardroom split that led to Swales getting involved and the subsequent 35 years of (mostly) under-performance, financial issues, the managerial merrry-go-round, et****il 2008.
Without doubt the biggest reason for us being in the doldrums for 40 years.
The ousting of the Alexander family by Allison and his friends and getting rid of Sir Joe was a disgrace
He got Joe Smith to buy them out who then brought in small time business men who were all in to massage their egos and allowe'd Allison to destroy one of the finest teams England had seen

Without doubt the biggest reason for us being in the doldrums for 40 years.
The ousting of the Alexander family by Allison and his friends and getting rid of Sir Joe was a disgrace
He got Joe Smith to buy them out who then brought in small time business men who were all in to massage their egos and allowe'd Allison to destroy one of the finest teams England had seen
And then Swales got him back to do it all again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.