Researching your heritage

I researched my family tree years ago, and we'll before there was anything on-line. For six years I traipsed from one local studies library to another, County record offices and even cemeteries here there and everywhere. Despite all that however, it is a fascinating hobby and totally absorbing. One of the most interesting things I have ever done.

A classic example of how the internet has made life easier (although I guess it's complicated things in other ways).

I had a bad experience with one of those sites. Years ago a woman with 'the sight' told me I was a descendent of Mary Queen of Scots. Joined a site, turns out that's a lot of shite and I'm mainly related to brigands and thieves.

Gutted is an understatement.

By way of an update, I checked out various of your suggestions before settling on www.ancestry.co.uk

Having spent a few hours on it this afternoon, I'm pleased with the initial results. I've already learned loads on my father's side and, although I'm currently doing less well on the maternal side, I hope to crack it as my search skills improve. This is something I've been wanting to do for some time.

I don't mind paying for something if I know it's decent. As it happens, there's a two week free trial and I can back out of any ongoing commitment if I cancel before then. That's assuming the site isn't run by a Nigerian colonel.

Thanks again, everybody :)

I started researching about 30 years ago. Got back to about 1800 with my English line. The Irish line was much harder but finally cracked it when I realised the spelling of their surname had been changed about 5 years after they got to Manchester. I only managed to solve it after records were put online. I then went to Dublin, Mullinavat and most of County Kilkenny in 2010 and found out loads more.
More recently I decided to trace my Father's line, after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I did it mainly because he knew very little of his own Dad who had died at a young age. That's where Ancestry helped. Within a few days I was able to tell him so much, and I even got to show him a photo of a blood relative of his Dad. He had never had a photo of his Dad so that was priceless.

A classic example of how the internet has made life easier (although I guess it's complicated things in other ways).
Yep it must be much easier now with on-line records etc. But I will never forget my six year journey in an effort to find my ancestors. It was a learning curve from start to finish finding your way through reel after reel after reel of microfilms. Many, many hours of research often ended in disappointment when nothing was found. But when you did find what you'd spent sometimes weeks lookin for, it was like winning the lottery. :-) happy days.

Yep it must be much easier now with on-line records etc. But I will never forget my six year journey in an effort to find my ancestors. It was a learning curve from start to finish finding your way through reel after reel after reel of microfilms. Many, many hours of research often ended in disappointment when nothing was found. But when you did find what you'd spent sometimes weeks lookin for, it was like winning the lottery. :-) happy days.

Good way to view it. I'm pleased to have uncovered quite a bit in just one day but can hardly claim it as an achievement.

I started researching about 30 years ago. Got back to about 1800 with my English line. The Irish line was much harder but finally cracked it when I realised the spelling of their surname had been changed about 5 years after they got to Manchester. I only managed to solve it after records were put online. I then went to Dublin, Mullinavat and most of County Kilkenny in 2010 and found out loads more.
More recently I decided to trace my Father's line, after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I did it mainly because he knew very little of his own Dad who had died at a young age. That's where Ancestry helped. Within a few days I was able to tell him so much, and I even got to show him a photo of a blood relative of his Dad. He had never had a photo of his Dad so that was priceless.
Nice one :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.