Internationals 5th-11th October

WC2018 is missing so many big nations... Chile, Wales, USA, Netherlands and possibly more depending on the outcome of the playoffs. And to think Argentina and Portugal both came close to missing out.

Looks like Ederson, Walker, Stones, Delph, Kompany, Otamendi, Danilo, Mendy, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo, Sterling, Sané, Aguero, Jesus... City will have no shortage of players to watch at the World Cup- up to 17 from eight different nations. Sanchez and Ghoulam (if we buy them) both miss out, as do Bravo, Zinchenko and probably Mangala too. I'm actually pretty excited.

Why the worst?

a distinct lack of quality enabling teams like Peru and Panama to qualify. Let's be honest, people say 2014 was fun but Costa Rica winning the group and making the quarters just shows how poor the real quality was. This time will be worse with the calibre of teams there. Novelty factor yes, pinnacle of football? na.

It amazes me a country the size of the USA has never really produced a world class player. Let's be honest, most medium-sized West African countries produce a world class player every now and again. When was the last time an American player was a regular starter for a top club?

Also, the BBC report suggested that the Panama goal was controversial and maybe didn't cross the line. How is that even a thing? I thought that issue was addressed years ago.

On a positive note for America, Fox have paid $400m to show a world cup that the USA aren't in.

a distinct lack of quality enabling teams like Peru and Panama to qualify. Let's be honest, people say 2014 was fun but Costa Rica winning the group and making the quarters just shows how poor the real quality was. This time will be worse with the calibre of teams there. Novelty factor yes, pinnacle of football? na.
The semi-final was still hilarious though. I thought there was going to be a violent uprising after that.

seems most of the qualifications were investments, far too many suspect incidents enabling certain teams to qualify.

Unsurprising, it's all theatre and a play where FIFA is concerned.

It amazes me a country the size of the USA has never really produced a world class player. Let's be honest, most medium-sized West African countries produce a world class player every now and again. When was the last time an American player was a regular starter for a top club?

Also, the BBC report suggested that the Panama goal was controversial and maybe didn't cross the line. How is that even a thing? I thought that issue was addressed years ago.

On a positive note for America, Fox have paid $400m to show a world cup that the USA aren't in.
Men's "soccer" in the states hasn't been at all popular until, say, in the last 8 years or so. American tackle football, basketball and baseball are all by far more popular. Talented young athletes in the states will likely pursue one of the top 3 more popular sports instead of "soccer." This accounts for the dearth of talent in men's "soccer" in the states - whereas our woman's sides have produced plenty of talent.

As for "world class" players - maybe Pulisic will get there - he's the best player we've ever had (assuming that he continues to develop). I feel sorry for Pulisic that he's going to miss out on the WC.

As for Fox getting broadcast rights to the WC - this is a disaster. Fox will bring in their own commentators to broadcast each game and it will be awful. Content free, dumbed down, "aw shucks" punditry, totally devoid of wit, insight or sharp analysis. Agree with the schadenfreude turn of events leading Fox to dump millions into a WC that their "golly gee" audience won't be watching.

Last edited:

All teams around the world are vastly improving,we see that in Europe,even Luxembourg get results these days,then you will always get Latvia's and Belarus always springing a shock or 2,but when you get the likes of Sweden,France and Holland in same group,there's always at least one gonna miss out

It doesn't even look like it crossed the line. Absolute shocker.

About 50 seconds in.

Now to see if a replay is ordered!

It does ignore that the US needed a draw in Trinidad and would be ok, but managed to lose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.