UEFA Nations League

I've also read that the current ranking system is being abused. I think it was Romania initially, who noticed that if you don't play friendlies, you don't go too far down the rankings. I know Switzerland never play them and have a high ranking, although they're not bad anyway

Wales did that too.

I've also read that the current ranking system is being abused. I think it was Romania initially, who noticed that if you don't play friendlies, you don't go too far down the rankings. I know Switzerland never play them and have a high ranking, although they're not bad anyway

They can get away with that once, but when this starts, the results from then on can't be gamed. Another reason why this is a good idea.

I quite like the idea.

I think the qualification for the Euro's part of it might be a bit messy though.

If i understand it correctly, you'll have 20 teams qualifying directly from the qualification groups, plus 4 teams through the play-offs.

The teams entering the play-offs are decided by who wins their Nations League group, which is fair enough.

But then it get's a bit weird for me, the play-off format is basically a mini-knockout tournament of the group winners from each Nations league. So in the end you'll have a team from each league qualify, including the shit league (league D).

Which is fine, but then it gets confusing, because a lot of the winners of the league group will be qualifying automatically anyway, so their spots will be going to next best ranked teams from their league. But considering League A is filled with the best teams, it's pretty likely that they'll all qualify without needing a play-off, so then those play-off spots will allocated to the best ranked teams overall, from the other leagues.

One drawback i can see, is in some circumstances it's basically going to be beneficial to get relegated to the league below, so say Scotland lose their first three group games and have no chance of finishing top and getting a play-off spot. If they got relegated to league D, populated by all the shit teams, it's actually gives a better chance to qualify for the Euros the next year round, because the lower league is still guaranteed a qualification spot for the Euros, you just have to beat all the other shit teams.

The advantage of doing Euro qualifying that way I guess is that it removes the messy current system of best runners up going into the play off. The groups will be straightforward. And it gives Scotland a whole new method of failing to qualify...

I quite like the idea.

I think the qualification for the Euro's part of it might be a bit messy though.

If i understand it correctly, you'll have 20 teams qualifying directly from the qualification groups, plus 4 teams through the play-offs.

The teams entering the play-offs are decided by who wins their Nations League group, which is fair enough.

But then it get's a bit weird for me, the play-off format is basically a mini-knockout tournament of the group winners from each Nations league. So in the end you'll have a team from each league qualify, including the shit league (league D).

Which is fine, but then it gets confusing, because a lot of the winners of the league group will be qualifying automatically anyway, so their spots will be going to next best ranked teams from their league. But considering League A is filled with the best teams, it's pretty likely that they'll all qualify without needing a play-off, so then those play-off spots will allocated to the best ranked teams overall, from the other leagues.

One drawback i can see, is in some circumstances it's basically going to be beneficial to get relegated to the league below, so say Scotland lose their first three group games and have no chance of finishing top and getting a play-off spot. If they got relegated to league D, populated by all the shit teams, it's actually gives a better chance to qualify for the Euros the next year round, because the lower league is still guaranteed a qualification spot for the Euros, you just have to beat all the other shit teams.

this doesnt qualify you to the Euros does it ? thought it was completely separate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.