"You'll never walk alone"

I thought we used to sing it all the time in the 70's. I could be wrong.
My best mate and his Dad in the late 1950/60`s were Liverpool fans and they took me when I was about 14 on the last day of the season in 1965 I think it was.They had already won the league and played Chelsea at Anfield and they won 4-1, I think it was.
My mate Dad took us onto the Kop that day and I definitely remember the fans singing this song,as I was very much into the Mersey Sound at the time,which had been going for about 3-4 years at the time.
I`d already been going to City for about 12 months,at that time and I certainly never heard any other fans singing this song.Mind you we were in the old Second Division in those days and it was nearly 2 years before I heard it being sung again at a live match.It was Liverpool at home.
If you look and listen back to MOTD in the mid 1960`s you can clearly hear The Kop singing this on a regular basis.
Unfortunately I kid you not.
Its been a Kop song for 5 decades.
I also remember Crewe Alex singing "Crewe Moon" well before we ever used the correct title Blue Moon.

The seeds were planted in Liverpool and Glasgow, but it was undoubtedly sung at many grounds during the 80s, particularly towards the latter stages of games, when the victorious fans started to celebrate.
Villa Park 81 springs to mind, when the City half of the Holte End was in full voice. I'm sure it was captured on camera.

yep started 60's and popular 70's and early 80's.. Was generally sung when 1 nil up or towards the end of the game for the victorious team.

My best memory Wembley 81, it was a sea of blue with flags and scarves and never walk alone several times. Plus villa park in semi was great when power scored.

Pretty much every club sang it during the 80's and even before then. Not sure why or when Liverscum calimed it as their own. BTW what a day that was against Charlton. 49k there - my arse

Really? I know we had to go in the Platt Lane End due to the queues for the Kippax, but how many do you think were there? I've not heard the official figure of 47k be argued about.

funny thing is i don't remember united having many songs back in the old days unlike city and the others we would have a book of songs and do a full run of them even after the main songs we would turn to the platt lane and ask them for a song and north stand but the main stand would just wave there season ticket books

even helen helen ring your bell was up for a laugh even when we would sing something else to her hahahah

As oakiecoci says, it was definitely sung by the Liverpool supporters in the early 1960s. Liverpool used to play the current Number 1 before every home match. In 1963 a very high proportion of Number 1's were Merseybeat records. YNWA was Number 1 for four weeks and when it dropped to Number 2 in December 1963 (replaced by The Beatles) they didn't play YNWA and I understand the Kop started singing "Where's our song" and as a result it was permanently reinstated.

There is, however, some dispute as to whether Celtic might have started singing it slightly before Liverpool.

For those of us that are too young to know that era :P, why did most clubs used to sing it, and where did it originate from? Anyone know?

Really? I know we had to go in the Platt Lane End due to the queues for the Kippax, but how many do you think were there? I've not heard the official figure of 47k be argued about.
From memory I reckon the crowd that day was 55k+

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.