Napoli post-match thread

Absorbing game.

Having been at match and had the chance to watch the TV coverage today, I think a lot of the comments on here have missed just how good we were. We weren't faultless by any means but although Napoli managed to make a much better fist of things after luckily escaping early annihilation, City did not fall off as much as some seem to think. Also, we defending really well on the whole, which was hugely encouraging because Napoli are a really good side and actually created almost nothing for themselves. Our major failing was conceding soft, unnecessary penalties.

Best summing up of the match is Pep in his presser but that is usually the case because he sees and understands more than anyone else.

10/10. Even in that first period I could see that Pep was serious when he had told us how good Napoli were. They were trying to play what I assume is the football which has brushed Italian teams aside, but they couldn't do it. For at least half an hour they simply could not lay a glove on City. No team could keep City's level up for 90 mins, but the second half cannot be analysed realistically if we forget that City had a two goal lead. We defended well and with numbers, we created the better chances, we played the ball out from the back very well and we played out the last 15 mins with a worldly wisdom (pragmatism?) we haven't seen before. Napoli did come more into the game in the second half but that is because they are a very good side indeed - no one can play 90 minutes against that side and not make mistakes. What was impressive was how few we made and how we forced them to make many more.

I hope this post isn't representative (although it's very representative of what I heard City fans saying about the Group standings as I was coming out of the ground last night!) - but not only is it totally wrong about what we need to do to qualify, so is Pep when he says 3 more points will do it. No it won't, if the following happens:-

- Napoli win our return match, easily beat Feyenoord again and also win their return match against Shakhtar ie. gain 12 points in total; plus

- Shakhtar also beat Feyenoord again, lose to Napoli (as above) but beat City in the Ukraine ie. gain 12 points in total; plus

- City slaughter Feyenoord at home but lose their other two remaining matches (as above) ie. gain 12 points in total.

What would kick in then is that Article 17 of the Champions League regulations would be applied, to determine which two of the three teams qualified. What matters under that Article is results amongst the three only. In this scenario, they have scored 3 points apiece in matches against each other and so cannot be separated on that criterion. The next level down is goal difference amongst the three. This means that if City lost badly enough to Napoli and Shakhtar in the away matches still to come, then they could beat Feyenoord 10-0 at home but might still go out by finishing third on goal difference.

I am not saying it's at all likely that City will end up eliminated at this stage but I maintain that it's highly likely that Feyenoord will end up with no points at all, and therefore we should aim for at least a point from one of the remaining away matches.

If we have one of those unlucky UCL nights in Italy (player sent off early maybe) and lose by three or four goals, whilst Shakhtar are busy crushing Feyenoord at home, we would be left praying for Shakhtar to get a result in Naples, or at least lose badly too, whilst we disposed of Feyenoord again in Match 5. Everything would then depend on the outcome of our final Group match in the Ukraine.

Check it out, I think I'm right.

Put a tenner on it mate. You’ll be able to watch the europa league next spring from the tunnel club

Can't agree with that, first season was pretty much equal to this, and 2012-13 was far more difficult, with 3 champions, and Ajax were a far better team than Feynoord this. 2014-15 was certainly no easier than this year either.

we are talking about 3 very good teams in form and all playing a style of attacking football and at the moment all doing very well in there leagues and not just on the results of last season and all 3 could easy be quarter finals team or better yes every group will have a weak team but 3 on par with each other is why i say the best group we been in europe

and you have to remember we are the pot 2 team in the group and had somebody seeded higher yes we have had the likes of real madrid barca and munich before but they was the outstanding team in the group by a mile and everybody was playing for 2nd place unlike this group all 3 could be winners and go on into the semi final or better

10/10. Even in that first period I could see that Pep was serious when he had told us how good Napoli were. They were trying to play what I assume is the football which has brushed Italian teams aside, but they couldn't do it. For at least half an hour they simply could not lay a glove on City. No team could keep City's level up for 90 mins, but the second half cannot be analysed realistically if we forget that City had a two goal lead. We defended well and with numbers, we created the better chances, we played the ball out from the back very well and we played out the last 15 mins with a worldly wisdom (pragmatism?) we haven't seen before. Napoli did come more into the game in the second half but that is because they are a very good side indeed - no one can play 90 minutes against that side and not make mistakes. What was impressive was how few we made and how we forced them to make many more.

Again, excellent analysis.

Put a tenner on it mate. You’ll be able to watch the europa league next spring from the tunnel club

hahahaha like your thinking matey

a draw vs napoli takes us to the knockouts and nothing can change otherwise and with the home game vs feyenoord wins us the group if we win the game i think we can go over there and get something and even getting beat still got in our own hands to get into the knockouts

No team could keep City's level up for 90 mins, but the second half cannot be analysed realistically if we forget that City had a two goal lead. We defended well and with numbers, we created the better chances, we played the ball out from the back very well and we played out the last 15 mins with a worldly wisdom (pragmatism?) we haven't seen before.
Trouble is, had that been a knockout match, and not a group game, we would not be favourites to go through right now, because we gave a silly goal away. In the knock out stages, we would have to go there and not lose as well as score twice.

We've had a great start, played some great football, and had some fabulous results, and last night was a great result in a group game, but we were one great save away from not winning, and that needless penalty would probably be very costly in the knockout stages, as we found last season with Monaco.

Roma got beat at home to Napoli on Saturday, just watching the second half v Cheslsea and they are giving the Chavs a lesson and Edin has just scored a beauty, a volley that was outstanding. The Italian league is not as moribund as it used to be Roma's performance puts our display last night in perspective.

Exactly. Napoli are one of the form sides in Europe for a good reason.

Both sides forced the other into some errors but we made less of them.

I agree that we managed the game out really well considering the high quality opposition, who were easily the best team we have faced this season.

Trouble is, had that been a knockout match, and not a group game, we would not be favourites to go through right now, because we gave a silly goal away. In the knock out stages, we would have to go there and not lose as well as score twice.

We've had a great start, played some great football, and had some fabulous results, and last night was a great result in a group game, but we were one great save away from not winning, and that needless penalty would probably be very costly in the knockout stages, as we found last season with Monaco.

It wasn't a knock-out game. And we wouldn't have to go there and not lose as well as score twice: not losing would be fine...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.