Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think his performance was indicative of his overall talent. Playing his first game on a makeshift team doesn't lend itself to anyone playing too well. That said, I have always found it laughable those who thought (and quietly probably still think) he is better or on the same level as Otamendi.

The evaluation of talent on here sometimes, boggles the mind. As a backup to the starters in a pinch, I think he'll be fine. But I expect once Pep gets a backup who can play a bit He'll probably be moved.

He still looks like a drunk giraffe on roller skates.
Fuck me how can I spell it out to the kid.
There's a football. You're a footballer. Don't be afraid. It won't bite you.
I really really thought he'd progress but he hasn't.

He’s stealing a wage here now, it sure what pep sees in him. Maybe it’s the Mendy connection??
He’s a huge liability in a defensive situation. I think my 6 year old could skin him.

Didn't even watch the game but completely ridiculous some of the things people are saying. First first team-minutes all season and you're ripping the guy apart again. Centre half is probably one of the most difficult positions to just jump back in and flourish immediately. Chemistry with your partner is huge. Next to Adarb I'm not at all surprised if he looked a little disorganized and made a few mistakes. Whether you like him or rate him or neither ... Even at this level it's just ridiculous to be so harsh. Needs a transfer though for his ownsake
Maybe you should have watched the game first!

Didn't even watch the game but completely ridiculous some of the things people are saying. First first team-minutes all season and you're ripping the guy apart again. Centre half is probably one of the most difficult positions to just jump back in and flourish immediately. Chemistry with your partner is huge. Next to Adarb I'm not at all surprised if he looked a little disorganized and made a few mistakes. Whether you like him or rate him or neither ... Even at this level it's just ridiculous to be so harsh. Needs a transfer though for his ownsake

Alas, little blame could be apportioned to anyone other than Mangala. He was excellent, by comparison, when he played against the Albion in the earlier round, but the mistakes against the Wolves were entirely self-inflicted. Granted, he wasn't helped by a referee who allowed a couple of clear barges to go unpunished, but Mangala appeared nonchalant in one-on-one situations and found Enobakhare a right handful.

He had a reasonable game but dropped a couple of absolute clangers.

I do long for the day though when a player who has a good game, receives just as much attention as one has a bad game. I don't know any player who would play at the top of their game with one appearance every now and then.

While I don't think they're in the same league, remember how rubbish Stones was one on one against Monaco? Now he's a world beater. We shouldn't write people off.

While I don't think they're in the same league, remember how rubbish Stones was one on one against Monaco? Now he's a world beater. We shouldn't write people off.
Mangala and Stones are at the opposite end of the spectrum. You can’t even compare them. The only thing Stones lack last season was experience and mature decision making. Mangala on the other hand is not a ball-player by any means, and it’s not something you can train to get. At least not at this age. Mangala is a physical specimen for sure, but there’s already one like him but with much better ball skills in Koulibaly, hope we target him as CB later.

Mangala and Stones are at the opposite end of the spectrum. You can’t even compare them. The only thing Stones lack last season was experience and mature decision making. Mangala on the other hand is not a ball-player by any means, and it’s not something you can train to get. At least not at this age. Mangala is a physical specimen for sure, but there’s already one like him but with much better ball skills in Koulibaly, hope we target him as CB later.
I agree with much of what you say. My point wasn't that they're similar, but that both have been written off at various points. In Stones' case, at least, this was premature. That's not to say that Mangala has a future at the club, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.