Just love this pic...

The Saturday game v Chelsea, we lost 2-3 and it was definitely on Granada - Gerald Sinstadt interviewed Peter Osgood after the game. It was played in snow and Clive Walker got their winner IIRC. I remember arriving to watch the game in the Platt Lane and me and my dad had to buy a ticket because of Chelsea having some restrictions imposed.

That was 78-79 mate, just a few months after City had won 4-1 at Stamford Bridge (Ron Futcher Hat Trick).
The season I'm referring to is 85-86, when the early season coverage was heavily restricted due to an ITV dispute that lasted till around January. That's why there isn't much TV evidence (apart from the 3-0 defeat to United at Maine Road), until after Christmas.
Chelsea had rioted the previous season, and as a punishment, their away games were supposed to be all-ticket. However, they were constantly turning-up without tickets, so the Police and Stewards deemed it easier to just allow them into the stadiums.
That's what happened at Maine Road, as about 200 away fans were allowed into the old Platt Lane.

That was 78-79 mate, just a few months after City had won 4-1 at Stamford Bridge (Ron Futcher Hat Trick).
The season I'm referring to is 85-86, when the early season coverage was heavily restricted due to an ITV dispute that lasted till around January. That's why there isn't much TV evidence (apart from the 3-0 defeat to United at Maine Road), until after Christmas.
Chelsea had rioted the previous season, and as a punishment, their away games were supposed to be all-ticket. However, they were constantly turning-up without tickets, so the Police and Stewards deemed it easier to just allow them into the stadiums.
That's what happened at Maine Road, as about 200 away fans were allowed into the old Platt Lane.
This?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/manchester-city-v-chelsea-05-october-1985-87751/

2dcbdki.jpg

Yep, that's the one mate.
Chelsea were supposed to be banned from away games, and their opponents were ordered to make the respective fixture all-ticket. However,Chelsea turned up anyway, so eventually the local police would always relent.
This particular game was all-ticket for City fans, so even in the mid 80s, we were being punished for other clubs misdemeanours.

However, thanks to the dispute, you won't see much TV footage of the 85-86 season,(apart from the 3-0 defeat against United), until after Christmas. That's why the Clive Wilson goal wasn't televised, which I believe was the original question.
Even the excellent Bluemoon Video Archive has struggled, when compared to the rest of the decade.

Away from Maine Road, the really unlucky player was West Ham's Frank McAvennie, who broke all sorts of goalscoring records with hardly any cameras present.

Yep, that's the one mate.
Chelsea were supposed to be banned from away games, and their opponents were ordered to make the respective fixture all-ticket. However,Chelsea turned up anyway, so eventually the local police would always relent.
This particular game was all-ticket for City fans, so even in the mid 80s, we were being punished for other clubs misdemeanours.

However, thanks to the dispute, you won't see much TV footage of the 85-86 season,(apart from the 3-0 defeat against United), until after Christmas. That's why the Clive Wilson goal wasn't televised, which I believe was the original question.
Even the excellent Bluemoon Video Archive has struggled, when compared to the rest of the decade.

Away from Maine Road, the really unlucky player was West Ham's Frank McAvennie, who broke all sorts of goalscoring records with hardly any cameras present.
That season was close to my nadir. I worked a shit Saturday job and saw very few City games, certainly not this one. I was tasked with filling shelves in a fucking Gratton catalogue reject store. Full of fucking busy women. Piccadilly radio banned. Radio 1 shite all afternoon. 85-86 - not one of my best. Forgive me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.