Julian Weigl

I agree that the prospect of playing for us is exciting, but let's not forget:

-He's German
-He's still young and has plenty of time to make a big money move
-Dortmund signed him as a relative unheard of player. He's surely grateful to them for that and it could make him more reluctant to leave after only three seasons.

Not that I couldn't see him wanting to join, but I certainly don't think it's a formality.

Same could be said about Sane, look at how that turned out ;-)

I get what you're saying though

Same could be said about Sane, look at how that turned out ;-)

I get what you're saying though

Sane had yet to move from his boyhood club and Schalke haven't been as serious threat as Dortmund in the BuLi or CL for a while.

But I also get what you're saying ;)

I'd love if Weigl came! I think it's very possible he does, and very possible he doesn't. Hopefully Pep and Txiki can get it over the line.

Ederson followed us amidst well established Portuguese media reporting he was going to City. Though we've been linked to Weigl, indeed Pep wanted him from day one, it's not quite the same as with Ederson where it was essentially a done deal from as early as March.

That said, the kid is special, an obvious addition to the squad if we ever could manage it. Given Barcelona have been continually rebuffed, it seems difficult, but it's hard to dismiss the Pep factor.
Sign him and we have arguably the best young DM/pivot around.

His lack of play time gives me memories of the Kimmich saga, ie, an agent "leaking" about other clubs interest etc to panic the club into giving him more minutes. Let's hope that's not all there is to it.

Ederson followed us amidst well established Portuguese media reporting he was going to City. Though we've been linked to Weigl, indeed Pep wanted him from day one, it's not quite the same as with Ederson where it was essentially a done deal from as early as March.

That said, the kid is special, an obvious addition to the squad if we ever could manage it. Given Barcelona have been continually rebuffed, it seems difficult, but it's hard to dismiss the Pep factor.
Sign him and we have arguably the best young DM/pivot around.

His lack of play time gives me memories of the Kimmich saga, ie, an agent "leaking" about other clubs interest etc to panic the club into giving him more minutes. Let's hope that's not all there is to it.

Don't watch all that much bundesliga. How's his defensive game? Tackling? What's his pace like?

Don't watch all that much bundesliga. How's his defensive game? Tackling? What's his pace like?
He's slow. His tackling is, well, good but nothing special. But you're asking wrong questions mate. Weigl is basically younger and leaner carbon copy of Busi, a player taylor-made for compact possession team. Has great vision and ridiculously good footwork. In a team like Chelsea he would look underwhelming as he'd need to cover large spaces. In a team like City he'll be seen as a worldbeater.

He's slow. His tackling is, well, good but nothing special. But you're asking wrong questions mate. Weigl is basically younger and leaner carbon copy of Busi, a player taylor-made for compact possession team. Has great vision and ridiculously good footwork. In a team like Chelsea he would look underwhelming as he'd need to cover large spaces. In a team like City he'll be seen as a worldbeater.

You're right about asking the wrong questions. I've got an agenda against Weigl and I honestly have no idea why. Possibly because I just really enjoy watching pacy destroyer types play and he's literally the opposite. Thanks for pointing that out. Gotta let it go.

How would you rate Diawara compared to Weigl 1-100 scale for each as a bonus. Trying to figure out why there haven't been any links with him. Any reasons that you can think of?

You're right about asking the wrong questions. I've got an agenda against Weigl and I honestly have no idea why. Possibly because I just really enjoy watching pacy destroyer types play and he's literally the opposite. Thanks for pointing that out. Gotta let it go.

How would you rate Diawara compared to Weigl 1-100 scale for each as a bonus. Trying to figure out why there haven't been any links with him. Any reasons that you can think of?
As I see it, you simply don't need pacy destroyers in a well-functioning compact possession team - no need to defend large gaps if the team is positioned well enough. Kante would be absolutely useless in this City team. What you need is a good 'regista' with centerhalf capabilities.

And I think players at top level cannot be both pacy destroyers and good controllers as they usually develop their strong points to overcome deficiencies. Though Rijkaard may disagree - he was both brilliant passer and athletic DM in one package. But can't remember anyone else - 'pivot' is a relatively new role, in pre-Cruyff and pre-Sacchi era teams weren't as compact as nowadays, so the position simply didn't exist in its modern interpretation.

Diawara? I started to watch Napoli regularly this season, but he's a reserve player that is rarely used. So, I'll refrain from judgement for now. Guess he befefits from Sarri's system a lot, it's difficult to say how good he would be under Pep. Many BM members rate him highly though.

Read somewhere that City were scouting Diawara at Bologna but decided to pass on him.

Last edited:
As I see it, you simply don't need pacy destroyers in a well-functioning compact possession team - no need to defend large gaps if the team is positioned well enough. Kante would be absolutely useless in this City team. What you need is a good 'regista' with centerhalf capabilities.

And I think players at top level cannot be both pacy destroyers and good controllers as they usually develop their strong points to overcome deficiencies. Though Rijkaard may disagree - he was both brilliant passer and athletic DM in one package. But can't remember anyone else - 'pivot' is a relatively new role, in pre-Cruyff and pre-Sacchi era teams weren't as compact as nowadays, so the position simply didn't exist in its modern interpretation.

Diawara? I started to watch Napoli regularly this season, but he's a reserve player that is rarely used. So, I'll refrain from judgement for now. Guess he befefits from Sarri's system a lot, it's difficult to say how good he would be under Pep. Many BM members rate him highly though.

Read somewhere that City were scouting Diawara at Bologna but decided to pass on him.

Just so I don't come off looking totally clueless...I'm aware that destroyer isn't an option. I was just saying that I've got an affinity for them as entertainment. What about the Pereria guy from porto? He seems like he could have a mixture of both in him.

I reckon I should probably trust the guy who played the position to get this one right and not worry about who I'd prefer :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.