Form/ Plan 'B'...

If plan B is give it to Yaya all the time & let him meander aimlessly around the park then I suspect we need a couple more.

Why would anyone worry about a plan B, when we've won 8, drawn 1 out of 9 games and scored 32 goals in the process???

We dipped against Napoli in the 2nd half, weren't at our best against Burnley and then struggled to beat Wolves, but the team that played Wolves was much changed.

Some fans must have in their minds previous seasons when City fell away, but this season we have a proper defence. We might have a bad period but I don't think that we have the fundamental defensive weakness that dogged us for most of last season. We had defenders who were just too slow, and once exposed one for one, which was inevitable with Guardiola football, they'd lose out and Bravo would get hopelessly exposed.

It might just be me, but I feel that I've noticed a general taping off of intelligent movement in our team since the Napoli game. We look a little jaded.

I thought it was my imagination, but even the result against Burnley added to my fears. Uneven play and tired thinking.

I think my worry is there's not enough rotation(who'd a thunk it!) to keep fringe players up to the standard of current main team players. Bernardo is off the rhythm of the first team. He's like James Brown on a Charlie Parker/ Miles Davis set.

So, he kind of works and kind of doesn't in the natural flow of the team. He's still trying to find his part. Yaya, too, is struggling for rhythm in the same way.

So, with this in mind, I worry about when David S and KDB have off games and how Yaya and/ or Bernie is going to affect the team.

I may be being paranoid, but I can't see a Plan 'B' and it bothers me...

2nd half we were fantastic against Burnley maybe the players just need a bit of rest

It might just be me, but I feel that I've noticed a general taping off of intelligent movement in our team since the Napoli game. We look a little jaded.

I thought it was my imagination, but even the result against Burnley added to my fears. Uneven play and tired thinking.

I think my worry is there's not enough rotation(who'd a thunk it!) to keep fringe players up to the standard of current main team players. Bernardo is off the rhythm of the first team. He's like James Brown on a Charlie Parker/ Miles Davis set.

So, he kind of works and kind of doesn't in the natural flow of the team. He's still trying to find his part. Yaya, too, is struggling for rhythm in the same way.

So, with this in mind, I worry about when David S and KDB have off games and how Yaya and/ or Bernie is going to affect the team.

Pep's football tenets are:
1) Maintain possession of the ball - the opposition cannot score if we have the ball;
2) Upon turn over, press immediately. The man(men) nearest the ball should move towards the ball; other players must move to cut off passing. If after a few seconds we do not regain possession, return to a less aggressive defensive posture;
3) Pass quickly and with purpose - move the ball upfield and once there, pass to move the opposition out-of-position leading to scoring chances. Possession alone is worthless on offense.

So, to the extent that there's a "Plan B," it will comport with the above tenets. You'll perhaps see some formation changes and/or player substitutions to better fulfill the tenets.

This is not to say that we won't use the occasional long ball to mix things up. And if one or more of our attacking players keeps beating his marker for pace, you'll see more long balls.

What you won't see is us bringing in some tall player and then hoofing the ball forward to him all the time - this just gives away possession too often for Pep's tastes.
=======
With regard to rotation - I agree. We're over reliant on certain players, primarily in defense.

And, some of our squad are in their first year under Pep. Crisp passing, intelligent movement and effective pressing - in the way that Pep wants - takes time to learn. We'll be much better next season.

Last edited:

I think it's your own expectations have been raised too high. The win against Napoli was excellent considering their current form. Burnley was tough but ended 3-0 against a team that hadn't lost at Spurs, Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool. Wolves was not really a first team game. The manager keeps on saying that every game won't be an easy win

We struggled to break Burnley down despite the win.

I think that's down to tiredness.

Or a hurricane and a parked bus?

Their keeper made no fewer than 6 very good/lucky saves.

We won 3-0 and totally dominated the second half. As much as we have against any side.

I do agree though, Bernardo and Gundogan will be important as the season goes on!

Last edited:
Bernard O'Silva isn't up to the pace if the Prem yet and may possibly be better in the number 10 role (rather than being out on the right wing) with Jesus going up front or out wide.
We need Brahim back from Injury and Fodeninho back from the U17 world cup to give us better alternative options.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.