TV Games - Dec/Jan

Most of the countries in the rest of Europe shut down usually the week before Christmas and start again the week after New Year. The German League shuts down for almost a month. What I want to know is why can't we do the same, as most of the other leagues and shut down for the Christmas and New Year period. This will give the players time to spend with their families, instead of spending time at the club. This also would give them a small break and allow them to enjoy Christmas and the New Year like the rest of us.
Why do not want to watch football over. Christmas and New Year it a very popular time with football fans and all grounds get great crorwd

Most of the countries in the rest of Europe shut down usually the week before Christmas and start again the week after New Year. The German League shuts down for almost a month. What I want to know is why can't we do the same, as most of the other leagues and shut down for the Christmas and New Year period. This will give the players time to spend with their families, instead of spending time at the club. This also would give them a small break and allow them to enjoy Christmas and the New Year like the rest of us.

The German league has 18 teams not 20 which means they play 34 games not 38. They also don't have a League Cup. That's probably why they can take a month off mid season.

I'm not sure how popular the (short) Christmas break is with fans in Italy and Spain.

Tim Parks is an English ex pat living in Italy. He has an Italian wife and three Italian children. In his book 'A Season With Verona' (highly recommended) he describes the football free Christmas break as being a nightmare (his Italian son experienced the same withdrawal symptoms so it's not just an English thing).

The way matches are shifeted about I think it's only fair that fans are rewarded with a couple of fixtures over the festive period
Players are handsomely rewarded so it's their gift/sacrifice to the supporters

@TBooksbluearmy said 'This also would give them a small break and allow them to enjoy Christmas and the New Year like the rest of us'

You may be lucky enough to enjoy the festivities as you describe,however,i can assure you,because of work commitments,millions don't have that luxury.

It might come as a surprise to some but as recently as the early years of the Premier League era, teams were playing matches on consecutive days over the Christmas holiday. Take the 1993-94 season for example - we were scheduled to play Villa away on the 27th December and Saints at home on the 28th. As it happens, the Villa game was postponed due to frost.

Anyone know when the Watford date is likely to be changed. Currently we're playing Palace on 31st Dec & Watford 1st Jan.

Anyone know when the Watford date is likely to be changed. Currently we're playing Palace on 31st Dec & Watford 1st Jan.
They're (TV and FA) waiting for this weekends results, if we are streaking ahead they won't allow us to move it, as there won't be another suitable slot available, and we'll just have to put up with playing twice in 24 hours.

They're (TV and FA) waiting for this weekends results, if we are streaking ahead they won't allow us to move it, as there won't be another suitable slot available, and we'll just have to put up with playing twice in 24 hours.
Dont you mean WHEN we are streaking away not if?? way confidence is at min mate we could beat them both in the same day ;-)

Because the Christmas-New Year matches are often the best attended of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.