What next for Foden & Diaz?

Loan culture is clearly vastly different to what it was back in Beckhams day. And he had (whether we like it or not) a manager and club culture that actively planned out a route for him and was prepared to give youngsters chances. Football has changed exponentially since then.

Courtois isn't a young English lad and was bought after a standout first team season professionally in a country that develops youngsters. He was then loaned to one of the best teams in the world. It's a little different to Foden...

Kane I'll give you but hes clearly the exception not the rule. He spent years dossing about on various loans. By that point 99% would have lost all focus.

Anyway, this isnt an argument against loans. I don't mind them with a purpose and an end goal. Now they're just sent out on loan as no one knows what else to do with them. Hence the comical hordes of talent that chelsea and city have out across the continent.

Kane's loans failed.

He had 2 shit loans and a decent one at Millwall, then after his latest loan move failed at Leicester, his youth coach, Tim Sherwood got the Spurs job and gave him the chance he deserved.

Drives me mad when people point to Kane as proof of the loan system working. Maybe if Simon Davies takes over from Pep the comparison will hold more weight, until then, the scenarios aren't comparable.

To add to your point about Beckham, he had been playing in the old reserve league with actual United first team players fighting for a place in the team, and against other professionals fighting for starts in their teams, so the players were much better prepared for a loan.

Last edited:
We don't have a 24 man senior squad though, We have 20 plus Zinchenko, Foden, Brahim, Adarabioyo, Muric. Once we get through the next international break we have 2 games a week or more through 'til March. If we get Sanchez in January things might be different, but if we don't then we have 4 players for the front three, plus Bernardo, an injury or 2 to Sane or Sterling would see Brahim and Foden on the bench if not needed to start some games or to rest Sane and Sterling in the cup games.

Muric isn't in our firs-team squad but the other four, technically, are.

Brahim is 18 and there is literally no precedent to suggest their time will come other than blind faith at the moment. It may indeed come, but recent history suggests it won't and instead a loan to NAC will come instead to be fair.
Exactly. Pellegrini and Guardiola have said that bringing young players through is a priority, but it will happen when they make it happen.

Not necessarily saying they are ready for it as I see less of them than you guys, but if we qualify in the Champions League those games become a dead rubber and would be ideal opportunities.

I hope both of them knocks on Pep's door, asks him "What do you think we should do?" and then follow his advice.

Assuming Pep wants to beat Leicester he should play strong defence and one of the lads in midfield. Don't buy into the weak defence with toisin and Mangler at same time.

If good result Napoli then same goes for Shakhtar and feyenord. Play lad in strong team gives them good idea what's needed to drop into first team and keep a place. Play in losing weak team and easy excuse.

One growing problem ppl havent brought up is the increase in players in football in general. As populations increase we are seeing more and more players but obviously club sizes stay the same.

The youth problem is somewhat linked to this. Im curious how this works out in the future, id imagine the current mediocre players get fazed out as talent pops up at a higher rate..

Exactly. Pellegrini and Guardiola have said that bringing young players through is a priority, but it will happen when they make it happen.

Not necessarily saying they are ready for it as I see less of them than you guys, but if we qualify in the Champions League those games become a dead rubber and would be ideal opportunities.
Disagree. It is important to WIN our CL group to have a better chance to avoid the other group winners....which probably means Bayern or Juve in the Group of 16, anyway!

I agree that we need to find opportunities to put them into games, but I’m thinking more about the last 20 mins of games where we are up by 2 goals or more, not key games where the result is in question just to get them a game.

Disagree. It is important to WIN our CL group to have a better chance to avoid the other group winners....which probably means Bayern or Juve in the Group of 16, anyway!

I agree that we need to find opportunities to put them into games, but I’m thinking more about the last 20 mins of games where we are up by 2 goals or more, not key games where the result is in question just to get them a game.

If we beat Napoli, (it's a big if I know) then we've pretty much won the group and will have two dead rubbers against Shakhtar and Feyenoord. Lets put a strong team out, hopefully get the result, and then the next two games we can blood some kids.

Also there are going to be some big teams that will most likely come runners up in their groups, so topping ours doesn't automatically guarantee us an easy ride. Currently Bayern, Juve, Roma/Atletico, Real and Sevilla are potential teams to end up second in their group - a by product of most of the English teams playing well this year.

Yaya is already dropped,kids are playing with kids,they are not playing with men yet so they are going to have to adjust and that takes time to do,foden is very slight and needs to bulk a bit before he plays with the men,i know dave was slight but he was a grown man and not a kid

This was Foden just 3 years ago.
Going on this picture to what he looks like now I’d say he has come on a lot and will outgrow Silva in physicality in a very short space of time.
Silva height is 1.73m
Foden is 1.71m.
So there is nothing in it now and the lad is still growing.
He is ready now imo.
9r0nxd.jpg

This was Foden just 3 years ago.
Going on this picture to what he looks like now I’d say he has come on a lot and will outgrow Silva in physicality in a very short space of time.
Silva height is 1.73m
Foden is 1.71m.
So there is nothing in it now and the lad is still growing.
He is ready now imo.
9r0nxd.jpg
I feel old.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.