Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Rumour in the Express about Manchester Storm moving to a prospective 5K arena somewhere around the Etihad Campus. Sounds a little speculative at the moment but is consistent with the general objectives for the area expressed in the Eastlands Community Plan of 2013 and the updated Eastlands Regeneration Framework.

Story here: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/oth...had-move-Manchester-City-owner-Sheikh-Mansour

Rumour in the Express about Manchester Storm moving to a prospective 5K arena somewhere around the Etihad Campus. Sounds a little speculative at the moment but is consistent with the general objectives for the area expressed in the Eastlands Community Plan of 2013 and the updated Eastlands Regeneration Framework.

Story here: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/oth...had-move-Manchester-City-owner-Sheikh-Mansour

There was talk about them converting a building the other side of the Mercedes garage but that was a non starter apparently. Would be good to get them on the Campus though. Perhaps a home share with Manchester Giants, get them away from Soccer Dome and Trafford and back to Manchester!

The development of the campus seems to have stalled somewhat, or certainly news of its development has. Would be good to get that wasteland developed to continue the regeneration of the area.

There was talk about them converting a building the other side of the Mercedes garage but that was a non starter apparently. Would be good to get them on the Campus though. Perhaps a home share with Manchester Giants, get them away from Soccer Dome and Trafford and back to Manchester!

The development of the campus seems to have stalled somewhat, or certainly news of its development has. Would be good to get that wasteland developed to continue the regeneration of the area.

The Phoenix were going to be moving into the building near the Mercedes garage, but they've since gone bust.

If we had plans to extend the North Stand we'd surely know about it by now?

Last season the excuse was the Tunnel Club. Perhaps legitimate excuse as it turned out to be a much more significant project than I thought, but that's done and dusted, and still no news. City are playing to full houses. Next season the club will be unable to fulfil seasoncard demand - for probably the first time in our history - (a bit speculative on my part there, but I believe it to be true!) so one perhaps concludes that Tolmie's comment about the cash tap being turned down is correct

As pointed out it's maybe not so significant in respect of transfers - team rebuilding has largely been done, and the club generates cash now - but it would make infrastructure build difficult.

If we had plans to extend the North Stand we'd surely know about it by now?

Last season the excuse was the Tunnel Club. Perhaps legitimate excuse as it turned out to be a much more significant project than I thought, but that's done and dusted, and still no news. City are playing to full houses. Next season the club will be unable to fulfil seasoncard demand - for probably the first time in our history - (a bit speculative on my part there, but I believe it to be true!) so one perhaps concludes that Tolmie's comment about the cash tap being turned down is correct

As pointed out it's maybe not so significant in respect of transfers - team rebuilding has largely been done, and the club generates cash now - but it would make infrastructure build difficult.

Hasn’t the Club always said that a decision on whether to expand the North Stand would be linked to the number of people on the Season Card Waiting List.

I agree that we could fill a 60k Stadium most of the time but I assume that Club want extra assurance about the level of demand. Without the supporter demand, some people in other parts of the ground will move to cheaper seats at the top of the North Stand and revenue would fall.

Hasn’t the Club always said that a decision on whether to expand the North Stand would be linked to the number of people on the Season Card Waiting List.

I agree that we could fill a 60k Stadium most of the time but I assume that Club want extra assurance about the level of demand. Without the supporter demand, some people in other parts of the ground will move to cheaper seats at the top of the North Stand and revenue would fall.
They have said that, on the other hand they need to be looking 2 years down the line. Though if they aren't planning on changing the original plan for 3 tiers then it would be typical of how they operate to just announce and start.
I know the plans for the Collar sight went to consultation , around spring if I remember, don't know how long these things take but would think they would want to do the extension before they start the campus work, maybe things like relocating City Square and the shop will all be included in that Collar sight plan.

Edit, this is the framework I was thinking of from March.
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/downloads/download/6702/eastlands_regeneration_framework

As I said not sure how long these things take to progress.

Last edited:

If there were a revenue fall, it would be a drop in the ocean of our turnover
I would think that the club is waiting for a definite decision on safe standing before there is any work undertaken on the North Stand

As for the money tap to be turned off with regard to the development of the stadium, I personally do not believe it
City is the highest profile asset owned by HRH, so there is no way he wants us playing in a sub standard facility

Last edited:
Always wondering why the collar site (and North Stand expansion) feels like it's stalled, but I suspect the plans are changing all the time (the sport HQ's seem quite prominent on the rumour tree). Maybe also a struggle to determine (and have sign the 'docs') a leisure partner. Still, the expansion of city through apartment builds (and the recent acquisition of the central retail parks in Ancoats) points to something being done constructively (by which time there'll be a hell of a lot more people (consumers) on the Etihad/Collar site's doorstep.
Hope the initial 'Yas Marina ++' wow factor plans eventually come to fruition. There was a recent article in Manchester Confidential about the lack of leisure outlets (outside of boozing/eating) a city like Manchester should really offer. The new Chief Exec (who replaced Howard Bernstein) has her eyes on the city becoming a top 20 global city in the next 15-20 years...a Nando's and pool hall on the site won't quite cut it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.