Shouldn't City be paying staff real living wage?

I heard an interview on the radio with an obviously foreign security guard at City on this very topic a few days ago. By the sounds of it he was African and his view was that they should command more of a wage because City is an elite club awash with money.

My view is the opposite. You should get paid for what you do. Watching a gate is watching a gate whether you're doing it at City or Chesterfield. Why should you get paid more because you scored a job at a nice place to work?

54k people at City. 10.5k at Chesterfield - surely his job is busier 'watching a gate' at the Etihad?

54k people at City. 10.5k at Chesterfield - surely his job is busier 'watching a gate' at the Etihad?
It might not be, I guess its down to the proportion of gates to people, maybe more people go through fewer gates at Chesterfield ;-) I've no idea, and actually don't care much either, but security is the same, whether at Hyde United or at City/United, they just employ fewer for smaller gates.

Of course City should. It’s the right, decent thing to do and I cannot believe any Blue, with a hint of humanity or decency in their soul would think otherwise

Part of the problem now with the national minimum wage is for the price of two 25+ year olds you can employ 3 17 year olds. I appreciate the need to command a decent wage but in the service industry companies employ youngsters because they can get 3 for the price of two.

My wife works in hospitality at both City and United. City pay £12.50 per hour , United pay her £10 per hour

I'll think you'll find City pay everyone who actually works for the group more than the living wage.

It doesn't matter if you're busy or not. You get paid for the job you do. A postman gets paid the same wage no matter how many envelopes he delivers doesn't he? They don't weigh the post bags and pay more if it's heavier do they? Why would a bog cleaner get more pay if they have more bogs to clean? They are paid to clean bogs per hour not per bog.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.