Micah Richards
Raheem Sterling
Luke Shaw
Michael Owen
Theo Walcott
Daniel Sturridge
Aaron Ramsey
Ross Barkley

Are a selection of the players who started playing in the premier league at 17 or younger.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but outside the first three that list suggests an early start is hardly an advert for career longevity.

I think he is in safe hands and Pep will know what is the best path to take with this lad.

After all he is training every day with the first team, Pep and the rest of the coaching staff and first team players see him and what he is doing everyday.

If Pep thinks he is ready he will go into the first team regardless of who's place he takes.

This season City will play a minimum of 49 competitive matches it is a very long season indeed. Our players are neither the most robust, injuries are inevitable, nor are they the most angelic, suspensions are inevitable too..through all this Pep will want to rest players those who do avoid injury and manage to avoid suspension will not maintain the level required if they too dont get rested from time to time.

Phil Foden will most likely get his chances this season and maybe in some pretty big matches, if he does he will have his chance to show how ready he is, and if he does that I would fully expect his season to end in Russia next summer.

Come what may I think we have to trust Pep to choose the right time and place for the next stage of Phil's journey will begin.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but outside the first three that list suggests an early start is hardly an advert for career longevity.

Considering most of them are 30 or younger I'm not sure how you can make that statement.

Considering most of them are 30 or younger I'm not sure how you can make that statement.
Should have phrased it better but few of them have looked at their best at what would normally be their career peaks ie around late 20's or look as if they will do, hopefully Raheem may be an exception.
But:
Lennon never really progressed, Fabregas' peak was probably at Arsenal, Wilshere looks shagged out, Rooney fell off a cliff at around 28, Rodwell has vanished as a player, Cole ask Liverpool fans (he was bad for a couple of seasons before then),Micah has done nothing since we won the title, Luke Shaw has dissapeared and his reappearance is uncertain, Owen never did anything after Madrid and not that much there, Walcott is now a little used squad player, Sturridge ditto. Ramsey and Barkley could be exceptions but both looked better in previous season than last season.

Foden has the potential to surpass Silva but he is definitely not better than him now, jesus christ you are making him seem like a messiah. Foden looks phenomenal FOR HIS AGE, he does not have the stamina yet to play a whole 90 minutes in this team, we run for ages, and he cannot yet handle the physicality of this league yet, Silva is small but he has muscle that lets him resist tackles, Foden is still twiggish.

The ideal thing with Foden is to give him sub appearances when games are basically won, or cup games against lesser opposition. Same with Brahim btw.
If Foden hasnt got the stamina yet to play a whole game,or handle the physical side of premier league football....then what is he doing in our premier league squad?
If the youth players are trained the same way as the first team,surely this lad knows all about the stamina required to fit into Peps press gang team
And if the basis of your argument really is about stamina/fitness ,then surely proper game managemsnt is all thats required,which is prob why Silva didnt start in Italy,why sergio was hooked for Gabriel.against arsenal etc etc
You describe Foden as twiggish...you make him sound frail.you do the youngster a diservice my friend,you really do.
How do you know he is not better than Silva by the way? Does Silva look like a goal a game midfielder to you?
Why couldmt he have started against arsenal,or replaced Silva and get his pre,m league cebut out of the way and some game time...How long do we wait? Long enough for another top team to bend his ear and promise first team football.He may be a City fan but i,m quite sure the lad knows his own capabilities. He is home grown,as such he should be a priority,and if i,m really honest...its bernardo silva who is really blocking his way ..,a player of undoubted high class,who,is from the french league,isnt used to peps pressing game and may just be strugbling with stamina/the physicality of the prem and is poss why he hasnt nailed down a starting position at City.Do you think he looks twiggish?
Give the lad(Foden) a chance,we are 8 points clear,and have an abundance of talent.And Foden is good enouvh.
If you can run rings around pogbad and herra,who have done much to put utd 2nd in the premier league,i,m not quite sure why any Blue should be wortied about Foden starting for City ,or at the very least ,getting half an hour to display his skill set,in the knowledge that,in the event of injury and suxpension he will get the nod.

Edit.just remembered the rubbish you put at the start of your post about me making foden sound
Like the messiah...it was you who used terminology such as messiah ,and jesus christ..not me
Give your head a wobble man .Pep himself said about our Phil.i cannot find the words to describe
his performance, i am speechless.i just want him in the team,and at the world cup.

Last edited:
Should have phrased it better but few of them have looked at their best at what would normally be their career peaks ie around late 20's or look as if they will do, hopefully Raheem may be an exception.
But:
Lennon never really progressed, Fabregas' peak was probably at Arsenal, Wilshere looks shagged out, Rooney fell off a cliff at around 28, Rodwell has vanished as a player, Cole ask Liverpool fans (he was bad for a couple of seasons before then),Micah has done nothing since we won the title, Luke Shaw has dissapeared and his reappearance is uncertain, Owen never did anything after Madrid and not that much there, Walcott is now a little used squad player, Sturridge ditto. Ramsey and Barkley could be exceptions but both looked better in previous season than last season.
This is something I touched on in my earlier post (#599). There is quite a lot of evidence that shows that “wonderkids” peak earlier than average players. Now, they usually peak at a much higher level, so perhaps it is worth it to them, but it means that more often than not they do not have long careers at the very top.

If Foden hasnt got the stamina yet to play a whole game,or handle the physical side of premier league football....then what is he doing in our premier league squad?
If the youth players are trained the same way as the first team,surely this lad knows all about the stamina required to fit into Peps press gang team
And if the basis of your argument really is about stamina/fitness ,then surely proper game managemsnt is all thats required,which is prob why Silva didnt start in Italy,why sergio was hooked for Gabriel.against arsenal etc etc
You describe Foden as twiggish...you make him sound frail.you do the youngster a diservice my friend,you really do.
How do you know he is not better than Silva by the way? Does Silva look like a goal a game midfielder to you?
Why couldmt he have started against arsenal,or replaced Silva and get his pre,m league cebut out of the way and some game time...How long do we wait? Long enough for another top team to bend his ear and promise first team football.He may be a City fan but i,m quite sure the lad knows his own capabilities. He is home grown,as such he should be a priority,and if i,m really honest...its bernardo silva who is really blocking his way ..,a player of undoubted high class,who,is from the french league,isnt used to peps pressing game and may just be strugbling with stamina/the physicality of the prem and is poss why he hasnt nailed down a starting position at City.Do you think he looks twiggish?
Give the lad(Foden) a chance,we are 8 points clear,and have an abundance of talent.And Foden is good enouvh.
If you can run rings around pogbad and herra,who have done much to put utd 2nd in the premier league,i,m not quite sure why any Blue should be wortied about Foden starting for City ,or at the very least ,getting half an hour to display his skill set,in the knowledge that,in the event of injury and suxpension he will get the nod.
Your entire argument died from your first and second sentence. If you think the youth players have the same fitness levels as the first team then your just oblivious.

I'm all for Foden to be integrated into the squad, but to suggest he should replace "The Magician" right now and that he is better than him... I am at a loss of words. I can only think your a new City fan and haven't seen David's influence on this club, in which case, please look at highlights of him over the past many years, you'll enjoy his greatness.

Your entire argument died from your first and second sentence. If you think the youth players have the same fitness levels as the first team then your just oblivious.

To act as devil's advocate, how are youth players ever supposed to build up the fitness levels required for first team football if they never get given the opportunity to play first team football?

I don't mind that Foden didn't feature against Arsenal - it's completely normal for players to get a break after an international tournament. Key time for me is between the end of this international break and the start of the January transfer window for me. We have to give Foden some game time as we have the opportunity to do so and it could save us a fuck ton of money if he performs at the level we all hope he will.

There's 13 games until the end of December. 3 are cup games (Feyenoord (H) and Shakhtar (A) in the CL and Leicester (A) in the CC) and Foden should start all 3. Our league schedule is far from horrible too so (dependent on the Feyenoord performance), I'd like to see him on the bench (and hopefully coming on) in at least a couple of league games.

To act as devil's advocate, how are youth players ever supposed to build up the fitness levels required for first team football if they never get given the opportunity to play first team football?

I don't mind that Foden didn't feature against Arsenal - it's completely normal for players to get a break after an international tournament. Key time for me is between the end of this international break and the start of the January transfer window for me. We have to give Foden some game time as we have the opportunity to do so and it could save us a fuck ton of money if he performs at the level we all hope he will.

There's 13 games until the end of December. 3 are cup games (Feyenoord (H) and Shakhtar (A) in the CL and Leicester (A) in the CC) and Foden should start all 3. Our league schedule is far from horrible too so (dependent on the Feyenoord performance), I'd like to see him on the bench (and hopefully coming on) in at least a couple of league games.
Given that he played well wide right for England, I can see him getting game time as a Raz replacement or as a sub for Merlin. Think Pep has a number of options, it doesn’t just need to be central midfield.

Given that he played well wide right for England, I can see him getting game time as a Raz replacement or as a sub for Merlin. Think Pep has a number of options, it doesn’t just need to be central midfield.

Exactly. Get Toure off the bench (Gundogan can cover the deeper role) and at least have Foden as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.