For those that saw both live who was better?

We've had this comparison before. Bell & Silva were different types of players. DeBruyne is probably closer to Bells style of play than Silva.
For me though Silva is the best player I have seen play for the club, although DeBruyne could surpass him if he continues over the next few years to play as he is doing at this moment.

That’s some player! Shame there is so little footage of him for us “younger ones!”

Believe me Worseley, he was that good! I saw him literally make a goal line clearance and then score at the other end from the preceding breakaway! The thing is, nobody was that shocked by that, it had become the 'norm' for King Colin!! Different players, both simply brilliant and neither ever a problem off the field!! So lucky we had them both at their peak and i saw both many, many times :-) :-)

That’s some player! Shame there is so little footage of him for us “younger ones!”
Not only was King Colin the quickest player in the league, he also covered more ground than anyone as well. Missile launch of a shot, great in the air, able to win the ball and blessed with outstanding skill on the ball. 40 years ahead of his time. He would play in this team. Him and David would be an amazing combination.

I watched him play in a City Legends V ICI Over 35s team at Crumpsall/Blackley 20-odd years ago, with reduced mobility in his injured leg. He was pinging the ball diagonally time after time 60 yards to Peter Barnes - absolute precision - hardly any backlift. At 29, robbed of his peak years. My childhood idol. I went a bit nuts when he walked out for Sergio yesterday.

Different players. Najinski s a box to box midfielder. Merlin is an attacking midfielder.
If I had to chose it would always be Colin Bell. Close but always Bell. Not that I don't love Merlin but King Colin it is.
Pace, Stamina, great defender, great attacker and a rocket shot to boot and a good goal conversion rate - he had it all.

At his peak Colin was a mid-teen goal scorer. Silva doesn’t have this in his locker and whilst I believe(know) KDB does, we’ll have to play him further forward to see it, on any type of regular basis. Other than this stark difference, i believe a drop of Silva, with a dash of Bruyne mixed in with a bit of Lampard(puts on tin helmet) is about the best Bell recipe you can get.

I never got to see bell but my late dad called bell the “complete” footballer, if silva could add goalscoring to his otherwise perfect game then maybe he’d be “complete” aswell??
If silva could score he would easily have been the third best player in the world for the past 6/7 years. Baffling that a player that gifted and insanely talented shoots like a little kid.

Football has changed so much in 50 years ,but Colin Bell would be just as good a player in the current team as he was in the 60's & 70's , because of his physique , stamina , speed , reading of the game , and his finishing , Merlin would not have endured the football pitches or the physical nature of football 50 years ago , he would have been kicked off the park. If merlin could take his chances and score more goals he would not only would he be the best player ever for city , i think he would be ranked alongside Messi in the current era. But Colin Bell shades it for me because he scored so many goals and was an all rounder , if you asked Bell to play centre half (and i think he did sometimes after his horiffic knee injury) he would do it,and wouldnt let anyone down. Colin the King or Merlin the magician ,just glad i was lucky enough to see both players in their pomp.
Interesting point about Bell playing centre half....i know you cant be sure...but has anyone else got any memory of this?
I have a sneaky feeling he may have been used as a sweeper,maybe in a european match..as u say ,after his injury comeback..

Believe me Worseley, he was that good! I saw him literally make a goal line clearance and then score at the other end from the preceding breakaway! The thing is, nobody was that shocked by that, it had become the 'norm' for King Colin!! Different players, both simply brilliant and neither ever a problem off the field!! So lucky we had them both at their peak and i saw both many, many times :-) :-)
I remember kdb in the euros closing down a player in the belguim half ,near the corner flag...the ball broke and the other team swept up the pitch,on a lightning counter attack, which ended with a goal line clearance,but kdb had raced back and was on the penalty spot,defending...incredible stamina,a part of his game that perhaps is not picked up .. another example of perhaps the better comparison being kdb and Bell.
Ive studied Bell on countless u tube vids and he amazes me.such running power,such style,ariel power,clever midfield play..strong in the tackle,brave,always on the move..it was his powerful run from midfield at old trafford in 1974 which leads to the denis law back heel goal,via a franny lee pass...so many headed goals for a midfield player,so many where he just ghosts into the penalty area and finishes with aplomb..
My fav ever City goal is the one at Stamford Bridge where he pulls off a snap-shot volley and the ball explodes past bonetti into the far corner...
Another match at stamford bridge in the 70s where he neatly evades the back four,composes himself and skillfully guides the ball back across the enrushing keeper into the far corner,all this at full pelt but with the grace of a gazelle.
What a player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.