90 Year old gets 2 years suspended for killing 2 women in a motor accident

Blue Llama

I find this incredible. As far as I can see from what has been reported he has not even been banned from driving , although that might be just an oversight in the reporting. Until an elderly person gets sent down for killing or seriously injuring people in car accidents these selfish people have no consequences to worry about when they carry on driving when no longer capable of controlling a car. If this driver had been a 20 year old they would not be seeing the outside for 5 years. We have to introduce compulsory driving tests when drivers reach 70 years old.

As a HGV driver I have to take a medical every 5 years to ensure I’m fit to drive.

Once you reach retirement age the same 5 year rule should apply and those unfit lose their license.

In Ontario once you turn 80 you need to renew your licence every two years.

"At a renewal session, you will:

• take a vision test
  • join others in a 45-minute interactive group education session about new traffic laws, how aging affects driving, tips for older drivers and road signs
  • complete an in-class screening exercise
  • undergo a driving record review
After the session, you may need to:

• pass a road test before you can renew your licence
  • follow up with your physician and submit medical information
This will depend on how well you performed on the in-class screening components and a review of your driving record".

I'm all for mobility for the elderly but the decision should be taken away from the individual....

If a person can't pass a set of stringent tests then they have their licence revoked... They sell the car and take a cab

As a HGV driver I have to take a medical every 5 years to ensure I’m fit to drive.

Once you reach retirement age the same 5 year rule should apply and those unfit lose their license.
MY HGV 1 lapsed some time ago (54 next week) and I don't actually need it any longer for my day job but I am tempted to renew... not sure how hard that is at this stage

Whilst I agree about older drivers having to prove they are capable of driving safely, I don't think sending a 90 year old to prison would serve much purpose, especially as he looks after his wife of 65 years who has alzheimers.

Stop him driving obviously.

MY HGV 1 lapsed some time ago (54 next week) and I don't actually need it any longer for my day job but I am tempted to renew... not sure how hard that is at this stage

Just complete your hgv medical mate and send off form. Bear in mind once you reach 65 medical is every 12 months.

Whilst I agree about older drivers having to prove they are capable of driving safely, I don't think sending a 90 year old to prison would serve much purpose, especially as he looks after his wife of 65 years who has alzheimers.

Is the correct answer....

how can he reasonably care for her without access to his car? If he's being kept out to care for her then I don't see an alternative

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.