For those that saw both live who was better?

It’s as easy to say a modern player couldn’t play crap pitches as it is to say Bell wouldn’t cut it on the modern era

I think that the adjustment that CB would have to make to deliver pinpoint passes and pursue his normal game on today's snooker table-like pitches would be minimal. The likes of David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne would be frustrated to buggery trying to adapt and adjust their passing games to the water-laden quagmires that characterised half the season in the 60s and 70s.

Different players. Bell was a true box-to-box midfielder who didn't have the silky skills of Silva but could run/sprint all day, had a great passing range and regularly scored in double figures. He'd have been the key player in a Pep team.

Think a combination of Yaya, Fernandinho
I see a lot of Bell in DeBruyne. Style, vision (remember it was a different game back then) and running. Though I'd have to say I think Bell had more stamina, but like I say, back then nearly everything about the fame was different.

I think that the adjustment that CB would have to make to deliver pinpoint passes and pursue his normal game on today's snooker table-like pitches would be minimal. The likes of David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne would be frustrated to buggery trying to adapt and adjust their passing games to the water-laden quagmires that characterised half the season in the 60s and 70s.
it

But they wouldn’t know any different. You forget some of the most technically gifted players did just fine in Bell’s era, before and after

it

But they wouldn’t know any different. You forget some of the most technically gifted players did just fine in Bell’s era, before and after
The way I see it different eras not the same type of player but if you compare
Heading the ball Bell wins
Shooting Bell wins
Goal scoring Bell wins
Long passing game Bell wins.
Ball winning Bell wins (Silvas game much improved this season)
Ball control Silva wins
Short passing game Silva wins
Chances created Silva wins.
Running with the ball Silva wins.
So to sum up pretty close call two successful teams and I've been lucky enough to have seen them both in action. (King Colin was childhood hero so he gets my vote just)

I am quite proud of this thread, think it is my biggest contribution to the forum I have made in 8 years! Really enjoyed reading all about Colin bell. So interesting to hear what he was like as a player. I have been watching footage the last day or so.

Didn’t know he had a restaurant either. Was that after he retired? Great to see he is still so involved at city.

I am quite proud of this thread, think it is my biggest contribution to the forum I have made in 8 years! Really enjoyed reading all about Colin bell. So interesting to hear what he was like as a player. I have been watching footage the last day or so.

Didn’t know he had a restaurant either. Was that after he retired? Great to see he is still so involved at city.
Had his restaurant while still player with Waldron Burnley player I think, went quite a few times with local supporters club branch, to say he's shy and modest is an understatement thoroughly decent bloke once you get talking to him. Top thread as well by the way.

Bell’s amazing goal scoring record at a time when (as that Buchan bastard demonstrated) defenders could do anything short of pulling a gun to stop you.

I’d swap King Colin for any modern midfielder, even Dave. He’d be an even greater player.

Prefer to have them both though.

it

True. But they still needed to be tough bastards.

It shows how good Bell was compared to the rest of the team when an all-round midfielder can be top scorer. Only Barton has done it since which is high praise.

Both high quality England players.

It shows how good Bell was compared to the rest of the team when an all-round midfielder can be top scorer. Only Barton has done it since which is high praise.

Both high quality England players.
One was I'll leave you to guess which.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.