90 Year old gets 2 years suspended for killing 2 women in a motor accident

When you say you've stopped her. Was it the Dr who advised the dvla?
It wasn’t actually. Us as a family. She hadn’t been fit to drive for at least the last year but her doc is an utter cock who advised to crack on. Unfortunately she thinks her doctor is GOD and listens to him over everybody. She was on strong pills for back ache at one point that had in bold capitals DO NOT DRIVE WHILST TAKING THESE and her doc said to still drive and not to worry.
Was fun pointing this out to him and threatening to tell his superiors

I find this incredible. As far as I can see from what has been reported he has not even been banned from driving , although that might be just an oversight in the reporting. Until an elderly person gets sent down for killing or seriously injuring people in car accidents these selfish people have no consequences to worry about when they carry on driving when no longer capable of controlling a car. If this driver had been a 20 year old they would not be seeing the outside for 5 years. We have to introduce compulsory driving tests when drivers reach 70 years old.

The clue is in the word 'accident'. Do you really wanna see this fella sent to prison?

Most useful thing from this case is to ensure older drivers are reguarly monitored/tested. If they are not competent, they are a risk to others and themselves

mate of mine dobbed his dad in. He was driving a camper van and everytime he went to his dads there was a new ding or crease in the camper - seemed despite wherever his dad parked some **** was unable to avoid hitting the campervan. My mate said it had to be done before he killed someone.

I had a neighbour who was terminally ill but kept on driving - when he reversed off his drive he mounted the opposite pavement - so dangerous had anybody been passing by he would have hit them. I spoke to his son about it but he died before any action was taken. His wife then took to the wheel but was so timid and out of practise she drove at about 10mph maximum. She fell and broke her hip so gave up before her moving chicane trick caused an accident.

You drive up the the motorway and the very old are the ones doing 60 up the middle lane and are such a danger to other road users. Their experience and skills belong to a bygone age I am afraid.
Did something similar with my Dad. Every time we saw him there were more bumps at the front and back of the car and he could never remember how they happened so we told him we'd get it repaired for him and never gave it him back. We kept telling him that the garage was waiting for parts until he stopped asking.

There needs to be re-tests every 2 years for the elderly to keep their licence, what the previous poster said happens in Ontario makes total sense.

However,,,, this should be a free, mandatory assessment and we all know whichever set of wankers are in power when it happens will apply a ridiculous charge to the assessment and therefore force an entire generation off the road and into losing their independence.

not now he's been banned for life (wasn't clear when I posted). If he hadn't been, I was offering a possible reasoning. As long as the judge is satisfied his wife's care won't be affected that's the main thing.
I'd have said that the safety of the wider general public (rather than the care of one person) was the main thing, surely?

The clue is in the word 'accident'. Do you really wanna see this fella sent to prison?
Accident is just a word to describe something that isn't planned. It doesn't mean on the law of probability it couldn't be predicted. Us old buggers should be forced to take regular driver assessment tests
On the question of Prison it will be interesting to see what the younger guy Morrison gets for killing one and maiming another.

Whilst I agree about older drivers having to prove they are capable of driving safely, I don't think sending a 90 year old to prison would serve much purpose, especially as he looks after his wife of 65 years who has alzheimers.

Stop him driving obviously.

At what age mate ?

I suggest 70 and then you retake your test including the hazard perception.
I also advocate the law applies to all regardless of age.
If you are old enough to control a car then you are old enough to serve a sentence.

In this incident I think only of the dead.
We have to reapraise the insanity of allowing old doddery people whose reactions behind a wheel are zero to drive machines that can kill.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.