For those that saw both live who was better?

The footballers of the late 60s and 70s were massively fitter and more athletic than those of the 50s and early 60s. But by the 80s things had changed - players were noticeably fitter than in the 70s. However, in the 60s and 70s Colin was the stand-out athlete. Naturally athletic and he worked at it. He was known to run middle distances at comparable times to world class distance runners. He was essentially a 2017 player in a 60s and 70s time warp (Martin Peters another).
That kind of suggests that today he would not stand out so much because the fitness of most players has improved. Thanks for the reply. Good post. I don't really remember him but I know I must have seen him. I started watching City from around 1976/77. The players I remember from that era were Corrigan, Owen, Watson, Tueart, Barnes and Hartford.

That kind of suggests that today he would not stand out so much because the fitness of most players has improved. Thanks for the reply. Good post. I don't really remember him but I know I must have seen him. I started watching City from around 1976/77. The players I remember from that era were Corrigan, Owen, Watson, Tueart, Barnes and Hartford.
Colin would stand out today as prominently as he did then. He would be ahead of the game no matter which era. A player who lifts his team by his sheer presence - no need for theatrical shouting and pointing - just a natural leader. It was a case of 'We've got Colin Bell.....'

Colin Bell was a truly special player of his time. A real box to box player who could run all
Day.

He could set players up or finish them off himself. Only one of a few City players that could get in the team today.

Then there is David Silva - master craftsmen - brilliant player who has the lot. Only thing he could improve is his goal tally.

The way I see it different eras not the same type of player but if you compare
Heading the ball Bell wins
Shooting Bell wins
Goal scoring Bell wins
Long passing game Bell wins.
Ball winning Bell wins (Silvas game much improved this season)
Ball control Silva wins
Short passing game Silva wins
Chances created Silva wins.
Running with the ball Silva wins.
So to sum up pretty close call two successful teams and I've been lucky enough to have seen them both in action. (King Colin was childhood hero so he gets my vote just)

I genuinely can’t judge Bell but long passing? Silva can put any ball on a sixpence, he’s that good. That said, he rarely has needed to play a long ball. Again, different styles and eras

Colin Bell was a truly special player of his time. A real box to box player who could run all
Day.

He could set players up or finish them off himself. Only one of a few City players that could get in the team today.

Then there is David Silva - master craftsmen - brilliant player who has the lot. Only thing he could improve is his goal tally.
Jesus Christ, enough is enough. Yes, he's a cracking player, but for fuck sake, he hasn't 'got the lot'.

Is it me or is there a rose tinted glasses view from some blues about the City side of the 60s early 70s?

Take a look at the bread and butter of the League and besides winning it in 1968 our placings are average at best compared to the current crop:

1968 1st 2011 3rd
1969 13th. 2012. 1st
1970 10th. 2013. 2nd
1971 11th. 2014. 1st
1972 4th. 2015. 2nd
1973 11th. 2016. 4th
1974 14th. 2017 3rd

No disrespect to Bell et al and I’m sure some including Bell could’ve featured for this current City side in sone capacity, but this is the best team/era we’ve ever had playing at the highest level with some world class players. Silva along with Yaya, Serg and now KDB has been and will continue to be revered for generations by those of us blues too young to remember the last golden era

That maybe because he suffered a serious injury in 1975 ( page 11 ).

I genuinely can’t judge Bell but long passing? Silva can put any ball on a sixpence, he’s that good. That said, he rarely has needed to play a long ball. Again, different styles and eras
Bells long passing game was pretty special considering the pitch states during the winter months back in the days he played. Silvas one of the very best all round midfield players I've every seen but for me Bell just edges it with being a great header of a ball, goal scorer and a world class athlete had he been 25 or so now think he would have been a de Bruyne with more stamina which is praise indeed.

Last edited:
Is it me or is there a rose tinted glasses view from some blues about the City side of the 60s early 70s?

Take a look at the bread and butter of the League and besides winning it in 1968 our placings are average at best compared to the current crop:

1968 1st 2011 3rd
1969 13th. 2012. 1st
1970 10th. 2013. 2nd
1971 11th. 2014. 1st
1972 4th. 2015. 2nd
1973 11th. 2016. 4th
1974 14th. 2017 3rd

No disrespect to Bell et al and I’m sure some including Bell could’ve featured for this current City side in sone capacity, but this is the best team/era we’ve ever had playing at the highest level with some world class players. Silva along with Yaya, Serg and now KDB has been and will continue to be revered for generations by those of us blues too young to remember the last golden era
Don't forget this was the team that managed our only major European trophy as well, I'm hoping we can do something about that this season of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.