Marlos Moreno - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Removing the comparisons to Jesus from it and even Tim Vickery's comments about how good he is, he was getting noticed in South American football, anyone who watched any Copa Libertadores will have seen why. It's not like Tim found him all on his own or picked him randomly either, he's a Brit working abroad is he not? He'll be listening to others on these things.

He has the raw talent to be something special but time and time again you hear coaches say that's not always the most important thing it's the mental determination, drive, dedication and so on that weighs in just as heavy(we will see that with academy players too as we pay more attention to them). I was hopeful he would be another gem but it's hard to say the signs are good so far, hopefully he can get himself back on track and have a good career even if it's not with us.

Last edited:
From what I've read it sounds like it's a mental thing with him, not talent. Decided he'd made it when he came to Europe, stopped working.

With that kind of situation you can always hope that someone that young will wake up before it's too late, but Machin certainly won't play him if he's not going to work incredibly hard.
Balotelli springs to mind, even players like Adebayor and Nasri to a certain extent, it's overlooked how the mental make-up of a player can be the difference between an ok/pretty good player and a great player. You can't really train that into a player either sadly.

From what I've read it sounds like it's a mental thing with him, not talent. Decided he'd made it when he came to Europe, stopped working.

With that kind of situation you can always hope that someone that young will wake up before it's too late, but Machin certainly won't play him if he's not going to work incredibly hard.
I find that very odd if it's true. Usually south americans work very hard when they come to europe (obviously there are counter examples) and are known for their work rate because they usually didn't have it easy growing up and don't take things for granted.

It's always something mental that happens to these young players isn't it? So many talents that are great but when they grow up and get first team chances they break down mentally and don't have the motivation to go further. Truly shows how there is no linear progression for young players, sometimes it just doesn't work.

Same with most things in life really. Having the talent is only half the battle, but you need 100% drive & determination to get to the very top of any sport.
Hope Garcia & Moreno make it, but tbh the signs are not looking great for either.

And a lot of that mental side of the game is physiological and natural: we know much better than we used to how much longer the brain keeps developing into the mid-20s, especially in young men. It's really the exception to get down to earth, wise professionals at 21. If they're still immature at that age, it doesn't mean they won't be a success at 26.

I find that very odd if it's true. Usually south americans work very hard when they come to europe (obviously there are counter examples) and are known for their work rate because they usually didn't have it easy growing up and don't take things for granted.

It's always something mental that happens to these young players isn't it? So many talents that are great but when they grow up and get first team chances they break down mentally and don't have the motivation to go further. Truly shows how there is no linear progression for young players, sometimes it just doesn't work.

???

South Americans are notorious for giving up their work ethic when they get their big move to Europe and the big pay day that comes with it. It's almost a cliché

Dozens of kids expected to be Brazil's next big thing have just given up following their move.

I'm pretty certain there was quotes from the Deportivo coach last year saying that he was actually working incredibly hard and there was no attitude problems - but that he was struggling to adapt to the culture and league. He said he was a good kid though.

One thing i know for certain is that City were trying to flog him on the cheap in summer.

???

South Americans are notorious for giving up their work ethic when they get their big move to Europe and the big pay day that comes with it. It's almost a cliché

Dozens of kids expected to be Brazil's next big thing have just given up following their move.
I know there are cases of this, mainly with alot of brazilian footballers, but I didn't think it was a problem in general. I didn't look into that much tbf but in the top leagues, in the best teams, the south american players usually work the hardest, no?

I know there are cases of this, mainly with alot of brazilian footballers, but I didn't think it was a problem in general. I didn't look into that much tbf but in the top leagues, in the best teams, the south american players usually work the hardest, no?
If I was 3000 miles from home at that age don' know how I would have reacted

Not really no. Robinho, Adriano, Jo, Riquelme, Deco, Anderson, Kleberson....the list of South American players who decided they liked to party more than play football is huge. Even Ronaldinho had his career curtailed by it.

There's a reason we brought Jesus' Mum, brother and best friend over and stuck him in a house with them for safe keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.