The 2011/12 Season

The players, the managers, the personalities, the finale.

We will never see the like again. A generational giant, and the best manager the Premier aleague had ever seen, being pipped at the post by his noisy neighbors who had lived in his shadow for 20 years, but we’re rebuilding under their own wealthy owners, who had assembled a squad from around the globe to be managed by a fiery Italian personality.

It was a 10 month long Shakespearean drama, with twists and turns that created what appeared to be different endings every other week. Brilliant.

I have very mixed memories of that season and with characters like Mancini, Balotelli and Tevez we always seemed to be one punch up away from catastrophe.

At the advent of the season I did not think we would be genuine title contenders – the victories at Spurs and United made me change my mind and I remember that odd feeling of watching City and not worrying how we would perform – for possibly the first time in my life.

Some individual games stand out – 3-2 vs Spurs, 2-1 vs Chelsea and of course the 1-0 against Utd – the best atmosphere I can recall at a game.

Some less good memories too – 3-0 down at half time against Utd in the FA Cup and anticipating this would be their 6-1, losing to Arsenal and realising that, after all the hope, it was just the same old City again.

My Dad died on the morning of the West Brom home game and it always saddened me that his last memory of City would be them appearing to throw the title away at Arsenal.

Those last 6 league games were like consecutive cup games – I started feeling tense about them days in advance.

Certainly, unlike the 13/14 season, the 11/12 season was both more magical, more surreal and more anxious. Perhaps it was because of the novelty of it all but I also think it was that the narrative itself was not straightforward and there were so many sub plots.

It still feels odd over 5 years later.

I still love occasionally watching the Aguero goal commentary videos from all round the world

I don't know if you can still get them but there were other brilliant videos out there - Merson is obviously hilarious (love bites), but just as good is the Middle Eastern News Station where the broadcaster is commenting that united are poised to be champions, when there is a shout and general off-stage commotion and chaos as Sergio notches

My favourite though is a female reporter quite a long way outside the ground who is giving the same spiel, and when the goal goes in there is this amazing noise, more like a boom than a roar, and every time I used to watch it I have to admit that I welled up, (rather like now in fact as I type this, so there must be something seriously wrong with me - stupid old git)

It was a strange season even down in Norwich before the game we all felt in our group it was going to happen, similar to the previous season as soon as we drew Leicester & had the red/black scarf thing going on it just seemed our name was on the cup.

Thought it was all over after Balotelli's red card, and Arteta's great goal at the Emirates (fekkin arab ££££££)
Came out after that game just thinking it was typical of us, the wanker Tarquins taking the piss as we left wasn't pleasant (you'd think they'd hate manyoo?) but that night home to West Brom, coupled with them losing (and dropping points for the first time ever) against Wigan (unless I am messing my games up?) really made me start to believe again.

What a finale..... I'm sure I aged ten years in that 93 minutes and 20 seconds, but I wouldn't give it up for the world. Amazing.

I can remember the cheer that went up in the south stand when Wigan scored against United. Thought at the time - typical, we still won’t win it. Was on a date at Llandudno getting onto a cable car when I got the text through to say United had drew. The signal was shite so it was a good while after the final whistle had actually gone. As soon as the cable car landed at the other side i hot footed it to a pub to get a drink - at that moment I thought ‘it’s on!’

No.

And I doubt anything we'll ever do will ever top it either. Nothing else since, has ever come close to that season, which culminated in THAT final day... :-)
True. What a rollercoaster it was. Can you fuckin imagine what it would of been like coming out of the ground had Sergio not bagged that goal. Even the players walking round the pitch doing their last game waves. Doesn't bare thinking abt. What a day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.