Sergej Milinković-Savić

He's too slow to be in front of a mid 3 and not positionally adept to be our pivot. Pass for anywhere near his 70m asking price.

I have said it till I'm blue in the face but any DM we get has to have pace to burn to cope with the pace of the Premier League. This guy does not appear to have this pace. I'm pretty sure Pep is very well aware of this too with his experimentation over the last 16 months.
Pace at DM is an English idea. Yes Dihno has some pace, but anticipation and early pressure are far more important.

I won't say pace is irrelevant, but it isn't important enough to dismiss any player one way or the other.

Pace at DM is an English idea. Yes Dihno has some pace, but anticipation and early pressure are far more important.

I won't say pace is irrelevant, but it isn't important enough to dismiss any player one way or the other.
Cool, we can bring back Yaya & save the dough we were going to spend on a replacement/ back up for Fernandinho.. :-)

Nah. Sorry not having this.
Pep got two pretty quick fullbacks and a a fast keeper because he judged Pace to be important. Fernandho's deputy and eventual replacement will be similarly endowed with at least some pace. If Pep's pivot doesn't have some pace then you can't play with a single pivot in the Prem.

Cool, we can bring back Yaya & save the dough we were going to spend on a replacement/ back up for Fernandinho.. :-)
Yaya is old and simply can't perform at any effective level. This isn't just because he has lost his pace, which he has, but because he has lost his athletism in general.

"Text" may not be pacy, but he has drive, power and athletism. Lets put it this way, he is as fast as Matic, Dier, Xhaka or Wanyama. Yet it hasn't stopped these folks from being successful in the Prem.

And prior to Dihno, Pep had Alonso and Busquet as his DMs. I'm certain "pace" wouldn't be a disqualified if Pep was considering "text"

Yaya is old and simply can't perform at any effective level. This isn't just because he has lost his pace, which he has, but because he has lost his athletism in general.

"Text" may not be pacy, but he has drive, power and athletism. Lets put it this way, he is as fast as Matic, Dier, Xhaka or Wanyama. Yet it hasn't stopped these folks from being successful in the Prem.

And prior to Dihno, Pep had Alonso and Busquet as his DMs. I'm certain "pace" wouldn't be a disqualified if Pep was considering "text"
The first 4 play as half of a double pivot, the latter two weren't in the Premier League.

Nah. Sorry not having this.
Pep got two pretty quick fullbacks and a a fast keeper because he judged Pace to be important. Fernandho's deputy and eventual replacement will be similarly endowed with at least some pace. If Pep's pivot doesn't have some pace then you can't play with a single pivot in the Prem.
There is nothing Unique about the Prem's speed in the middle that requires additional consideration of pace. 4 of the top 6 DMs in the Prem ate not pacy.

Pep alao has had pacy fullbacks everywhere he has been. So that has nothing to do with the DM position. The brain is prioritized over athletism or pace in the middle.

"I want midfielders who can keep the ball" that's what's most valued quality in the middle. Not pace or single pivot speed.

When you keep the ball you dominate possession. Dihno has some quickness, but he is significantly already slower than he was 3 years ago. SMS is big and covers ground and space with force and power.

I mean who was the DM we were linked with all summer? Wiegl! How much pace do you think he has?... Busquetish!

The first 4 play as half of a double pivot, the latter two weren't in the Premier League.
Regardless, the fallacy is in the belief that the Prem is unique. Its not. Players are quick in Germany and France too. And they counter as quickly.

Besides, all these labels are erroneous. When has Dihno really ever been alone in the middle? That's just paper formation. In reality KDB drops near him to his right. Delph squeezes next to him on the left or Walker in games in which he is inverted.

Confusing basic formation for tactics and concluding certain traits are required by that formation simply isn't factual.

Dihno plays no more on a pivot that Dier does when playing with Erikson and Alli or when Matic is playing with Pogba and MhkT.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.