Your first City match?

1993-94 season. Swindon. Too young to appreciate the football but my dad's mate opened my mind to swear words the likes of which I couldn't even comprehend; it was amazing.

Too young to remember. First memory was running fans in the streets where we parked. Hello hello city aggro. Late 60s. Remember Colin Bell a hero as a kid. Remember the programme with my dad pencilling in the changes. Tony Coleman, Johnny Crossan. Beefy bovril burning my mouth. Fags and beer smell. Swearing. Sitting on a wall in the Kippax with a big drop to my side. Crush to get out of the entrance at the end of the game. Happy days.

Absolutely no idea but early to mid 70s. I was born in 68 and lived in Pickford Court at the top of Ayers Road. My grandad lived in the block, my uncle in Osprey Court and my other uncle just off Claremont Road.

Mike Doyle, Tueart, Barnes, Watson, Hartford, Owen, Bell and Clements are the first players I remember watching live. I will never forget me, my dad and grandad going to the game together. I've loved it ever since.

1975/76 season v Newcastle. 4-0 winners. 2 each for Royle and Tueart. My brother took me into Platt Lane (he said I was too small for Kippax) & I think he silently regretted taking me because after that firstly, he couldn't go to a match without me and secondly, for a couple of years he couldn't go in his beloved Kippax. Pissing it down all day it was.
I eventually became a season ticket holder in Kippax 79/80 season when I started work. If I remember rightly you had tear-offs that allowed you to get into the reserve matches too.

First one I remember anything about was Burnley at home in 1973, my old man was a Saturday Dad and took us to as many games as he could. I'd been to previous games but this is the one that got me hooked, I remember being sat in the Platt Lane on the wooden benches looking enviously at the Kippax and seeing lads with scarves on each wrist another one on the outside of the flares, a silk scarf around their necks and even some with a scarf around their heads, from that moment I wanted to be one of them, as a 7 year old I'd found my calling in life.

First ever vague memory of City was us beating them Rags in the League cup 1975, first match was, which I can recall most incidents, vrs Bristol City Sept 1977 aged 8, we won 2-0.
Barnes first half with a typical goal cutting in from the left scoring across the goalie & Owen 2nd half shot from about 20-25 yards which from where I sat looked like it clipped the underneath of the bar on the way in.

My 1st game was away at Bury in 1966 and we lost 2-1, and my late father wanted me to watch a certain Colin Bell. I was only a small child and didn't get the City bug until the 1977-78 season when I could afford to buy a season ticket under my own steam as I was working full time.

Been a season ticket holder ever since.

City 1 v 0 Middlesbrough, March 1985

I was 5, with my dad. David Phillips scored the only goal of the game and so became my first ever fave City player. Was always a bit miffed my dad didn't then take me to the Charlton game two months later, but I imagine he wanted a few scoops before/during/after

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.