Is Capitalism Unsustainable?

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Mrs ww does not seem to be impacted by any slow down judging by the selfridges bags in the hall.

Why you would need to buy so much each week I have absolutely no idea.

Mrs ww does not seem to be impacted by any slow down judging by the selfridges bags in the hall.

Why you would need to buy so much each week I have absolutely no idea.

Steer her into Debenhams mate and you will acquire another back to back for the portfolio in no time.
Top value for money with absolute prettiness and madame glamour but without the pretense .
I bought today a Victor Bollocks BonBon gift set including 50ml EDP and 50ml prewash and 50 ml body cream for only £64.
Everyone else wants £80 plus.

Debenhams is the top bollocks of retailmania and will be your festive best pal.
I also bought four pair of ladies high boots and ankle boots for £89 all in.
You can't shoe a horse for that !

29ftrbn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The next 50 years will indeed see astonishing developments. AI is a big deal. I get it (I've been a software developer for 35 years). I do not however fall in with the doomsayers (Elon Musk et al) rather with people like Marc Andreesen and his like. AI will enhance our lives and does not pose an existential threat. Wish I was 40 years younger; the future looks like a lot of fun. Let's agree to differ and meet back here in 2107 to see who's right.
Perhaps you misunderstand me?

There's nothing doomsday about my prediction. Quite the contrary, it will be marvellous beyond our wildest dreams. Machines will cater for our every conceivable need and poverty will be a thing of the past. I don't know how long it will take for this utopia to come about, but it will surely come in time.

Steer her into Debenhams mate and you will acquire another back to back for the portfolio in no time.
Top value for money and absolute prettiness and madame glamour but without the pretense .
I bought today a Victor Bollocks BonBon gift set including 50ml EDP and 50ml prewash and 50 ml body cream for only £64.
Everyone else wants £80 plus.

Debenhams is the top bollocks of retailmania and will be your festive best pal.
I also bought four pair of ladies high boots and ankle boots for £89 all in.
You can't shoe a horse for that !!!!

I sometimes shop at Debenhams myself taxi on the basis that I only need to go in one shop in the Trafford Centre. Depending if I park at the John Lewis end or the Debenhams end. Saves me having the pain of walking through it.

I actually believe more people are starting to see that you actually need fuck all in terms of possessions and they are pretty meaningless.

Family and experiences are all that really matter.

Sad to see the gap between the haves and have nots getting wider even in our own wonderful city.

Strange times.

I sometimes shop at Debenhams myself taxi on the basis that I only need to go in one shop in the Trafford Centre. Depending if I park at the John Lewis end or the Debenhams end. Saves me having the pain of walking through it.

I actually believe more people are starting to see that you actually need fuck all in terms of possessions and they are pretty meaningless.

Family and experiences are all that really matter.

Sad to see the gap between the haves and have nots getting wider even in our own wonderful city.

Strange times.

People are afraid to shop at Debs because they perceive it as being expensive and yet can work out cheaper than Asdas.
It's a wonderful shopping experience too and can be had for absolute pennies.
I am not joking about the boots either and if pushed will upload the pictures.

With regard to possessions being meaningless we come into this world with nowt and we leave with nowt.
What we can take with us however is our memories so lets all enjoy the ride.
Try not to work too hard either because you can pull back a fiver but a day sold to that hamster wheel is a day lost forever.
Time is the most precious thing we all have so use it well.

Capitalism has delivered incredible advances in technology and living standards. Without the profit motive, it is difficult for me to conceive of the kind of developments in medicine and pharmaceuticals occurring, for example. Over the last two hundred years, it is an economic system that has delivered staggering change; change that has been fuelled, figuratively and literally, by fossil fuels - and therein lies the rub.

We are exploiting the planet and its resourses at a rate and in a way that is wholly unsustainable. What we are doing to the oceans is utterly shameful, reprehensible and disgusting.

One can only hope that the system will, in time, provide the further advances in technology to resolve the problems we have created, in terms of the environment, which is possible but not probable in my view.

I’m thinking it’s just as likely that capitalism will eat itself and the world will be left in a truly sorry state.

It’s going to be shit or bust, I reckon.

no they didnt, 42.4% is not a majority

and thats only 42.4% of those who voted.
If you factor in the 31.3% who didnt vote it drops to 29.1%, less than a third of the electorate

In our parliamentary system no it isn't a majority, in any other world however it is because they achieved the most votes. We don't count votes according to who doesn't vote, we count votes on who does and the majority of people who did vote voted Tory.

In fact at the last election even more people voted Tory than the last time, the argument that there is some resurgence for the left is completely unfounded and not reflected in any shape or form by the voting. All Labour achieved arguably was to regain the more traditional votes and therefore seats it lost in the past.

On your argument, you could argue that an even less percentage of the country voted Labour which just shows even more how people not only do not want change but they also were unwilling to vote for it.

To win Labour needs to not just win new votes but it needs to overturn Tory ones, there is no evidence that is likely to happen nor did it last time.

Capitalism has delivered incredible advances in technology and living standards. Without the profit motive, it is difficult for me to conceive of the kind of developments in medicine and pharmaceuticals occurring, for example. Over the last two hundred years, it is an economic system that has delivered staggering change; change that has been fuelled, figuratively and literally, by fossil fuels - and therein lies the rub.

We are exploiting the planet and its resourses at a rate and in a way that is wholly unsustainable. What we are doing to the oceans is utterly shameful, reprehensible and disgusting.

One can only hope that the system will, in time, provide the further advances in technology to resolve the problems we have created, in terms of the environment, which is possible but not probable in my view.

I’m thinking it’s just as likely that capitalism will eat itself and the world will be left in a truly sorry state.

It’s going to be shit or bust, I reckon.

That is more an argument against human nature than an economics system. Population change will ensure that we kill ourselves long before any problems start to really begin with the environment. We are all sitting here now arguing how terrible this is whilst the participation in this forum is in itself consuming resources.

The US currently aside, I think the capitalist countries are actually the ones that are leading by example, more or less every single major capitalist nation is directly engaged in environmental protection and sustainability drives. At some point it will get better and like you say that will be achieved through the technology that only a capitalist system can give due to the need for money and funding to research it.

It will get better but the consumption of resources is not going to change, we need X amount of electricity for example and it is just how you produce that amount of electricity that is going to be the problem we solve.

Reducing the need for that electricity is perhaps what people are getting at, IE, stop being 'greedy' and consuming so much. Which economic system seriously proposes to tackle that though and why would it?

There is a lot to resentment for the “capitalists” because they have access to make money off owning the companies that get stronger and stronger off making workers less relevant.. but there is also totally democratic access to the capital markets through online stock trading etc. And it’s based on the notion of free choice... the fundamental principle is that I’m selling what I want to sell at the price I want to sell it, at the time and in the market I choose. I might not have the resources to participate as fully as I want or with the flexibility I would like... but there’s nothing intrinsic about my birth or skin colour that prevent me. There’s enough people making money off the capital markets and stock ownership that I don’t see it collapsing under its own weight like French monarchy or the Roman slave culture, or Apartheid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.