Our strength in depth.

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
After tonight Im a bit worried. Is it really that good?
People go on about our strength in depth, but what if Silva & KDB both got injured, would we actually turn into a bit of an average team?
Bernado & Gundog dont seem up to standard to me. I wont even mention Yaya's performance.
Seems like we really need Sanchez (and possibly another) to bolster us, not only for possible injuries but to rest the likes of David & Kevin.

Yaya and Mangala need replacing and Sanchez needs to fill in for the loss of Kelechi.

Gundogan and Silva need games for me, that's why they look hit and miss.

Same with Danilo, albeit he does look a drop off from the original idea of having Dani Alves rotating with Kyle Walker for the right back position.

We have as much depth as you can expect imo without getting close to computer game style squads. Gundogan and B.Silva need game time, consistent game time which the grueling schedule will allow for. Come the sunny side of next year we will be much more drilled. We have already come a long way in a super short amount of time.

Yaya will go in the summer with a one of the others taking more of a role or another top level player will come in then.

In my opinion to look at B.Silva and Gundogan to be imminently replaced would be knee jerk. This squad is close to Peps now almost fully but they have still only been together half a season properly, far to soon to make such sweeping changes or to even entertain them imo.

There's a difference between bringing the odd player in and changing the entire team to one that's never played together.

Gundogan today kept having to drop deep, almost level with Yaya, because he's so slow to get the ball to the attacking midfielders that they can't do anything. If Fernandinho had started in his normal position, Gundogan would have looked much better, he's showing glimpses of quality, particularly dribbling past a few players near the box which will be a big help in breaking down parked busses - he just needs games, and ideally games with the first team not the reserve selection.

Bernardo will come good, I've no doubt about that, but he's not a winger and he's not ready to play in the middle so there's quite a dilemma.

The problem really is that we lack any utility players so our depth looks good when you say Jesus, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva, Danilo, Kompany are our depth players, but actually we need probably 1 utility forward and at least 1 utility defender to have great depth.

We have as much depth as you can expect imo without getting close to computer game style squads. Gundogan and B.Silva need game time, consistent game time which the grueling schedule will allow for. Come the sunny side of next year we will be much more drilled. We have already come a long way in a super short amount of time.

Yaya will go in the summer with a one of the others taking more of a role or another top level player will come in then.

In my opinion to look at B.Silva and Gundogan to be imminently replaced would be knee jerk. This squad is close to Peps now almost fully but they have still only been together half a season properly, far to soon to make such sweeping changes or to even entertain them imo.

I think in the summer we'll add a pacey forward who can play both wings as depth, and someone who can play a bunch of defensive positions (or we could buy a starting defensive mid and 33 year old Fernandinho can be the utility defensive cover).

I don't think that's too computer game-y, it's basically just replacing Yaya on the bench.

Gundogan today kept having to drop deep, almost level with Yaya, because he's so slow to get the ball to the attacking midfielders that they can't do anything. If Fernandinho had started in his normal position, Gundogan would have looked much better, he's showing glimpses of quality, particularly dribbling past a few players near the box which will be a big help in breaking down parked busses - he just needs games, and ideally games with the first team not the reserve selection.

Bernardo will come good, I've no doubt about that, but he's not a winger and he's not ready to play in the middle so there's quite a dilemma.

The problem really is that we lack any utility players so our depth looks good when you say Jesus, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva, Danilo, Kompany are our depth players, but actually we need probably 1 utility forward and at least 1 utility defender to have great depth.
Yes its a good point about Bernado's position, maybe when he can play in Davids position he will shine like he did at Monaco.
I hope we can snag Emre Can on a free in summer, I think Pep could be really good for him.

I think in the summer we'll add a pacey forward who can play both wings as depth, and someone who can play a bunch of defensive positions (or we could buy a starting defensive mid and 33 year old Fernandinho can be the utility defensive cover).

I don't think that's too computer game-y, it's basically just replacing Yaya on the bench.

Yaya and Mangala, yup they do need to be replaced. I think Delph will come in front of the defence next season also to work with Fernandinho, just a theory but not out of the realms of possibility.

The bit i find to much is the idea B.Silva is not good enough along with Gundogan and need to be replaced. I think it would be far to early to judge considering their limited game time so far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.