Pep's contract situation | Expected to leave at the end of next season according to Jack Gaughan (p1332)

Pep's desire is to prove himself. I wouldn't put it past him to take on somehow turning the MLS into a major player in world football.

I can't see him doing that. Pep coaches players of talent into his system. That wouldn't work in the MLS. He'd get frustrated when he couldn't acquire players with the skills needed. And it would take him around 3-4 transfer windows to get anywhere close with the ridiculous Target Allocation Money and General Allocation Money rules. He would have to take it as a personal challenge to coach down to his squad.

Ha, I’m an eternal pessimist and already worry about the day Guardiola leaves. Just think from books/interviews I’ve read that he would never stay in a job for that length of time. Would love to be wrong, but like I say any contract extension would be great news.

Manchester is not really Barcelona and that part is bit of shit, but I don't think he ever had and will ever have the better climate in the club for his vision than at City. Maybe in his first year at Barca but still there's always some drama over there. At City, he is free to do it however he likes it without pressure.

I knew last year that there is zero chance he'll stay here for only 3 years. He gave numerous hints in his post-match interviews and press conferences, specially after the games when refs were robbing us, but media were refusing to accept it. He was well pissed with the way the club was treated and with the good working conditions he has here, I think it's the main reason he decided to show them all two fingers and make some woderfull stuff with this club.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays here for 5-6 more years or so and then, again staying in the business with City and his mates here, helps his brother (and probably his too) investment at Girona. Being manager or working behind the scene. That's what I'd do on his place. Financial wise, he'll be settled forever after finishing here and at Girona he could be basically at home and still doing things he likes and making a business with it at same time.

Last edited:
I was at our Christmas party on Friday. I bumped into a Utd fan id not seen for a few months. First thing he says. Don't worry Pep will be gone soon then all this will crumble a and you'll be back to normal. I just laughed. Thing that hit me though was there was no attempt to even compete, no 20 times, money, or all the rest of the boring sound bites they give us. Just acceptance that we better than them.

Think I might send him an email when I get to work. ;)

Was talking to mates after the game, Saturday, before all this came out, basically saying that in 3 years time how much better this team will be. Sane, Sterling, Jesus all reaching peak. Diaz, Foden possibly as well. Ederson, Stones, KDB, Mendy, Bernado all south of 30. Why wouldn't Pep not want to see how this plays out? Thoughts?

I think part of what has caused Pep stress at his previous clubs is the boardroom turmoil, in theory the 'holistic' strategy should make Pep's life as easy as it can be, he can just focus on the football with he complete backing of all his superiors. I don't think he'll find a better environment to put his football vision in place but 10 years does seem unlikely.

I think part of what has caused Pep stress at his previous clubs is the boardroom turmoil, in theory the 'holistic' strategy should make Pep's life as easy as it can be, he can just focus on the football with he complete backing of all his superiors. I don't think he'll find a better environment to put his football vision in place but 10 years does seem unlikely.

You are spot on.

At Barcelona he had to be the press officer to defend the club from attacks because once Joan Laporta left he became the face of the club. Sandro Rosell was also anti-Cruijff so both he and Pep Guardiola were at odds as we saw from his rant against the board to be left alone when he was at Bayern. Rosell used Catalan media to defame Guardiola and to constantly criticise his methods when he was there and even after he left.

At Bayern Munchen, he joined because of Uli Hoeness and they had a warm relationship. Once Uli Hoeness got convicted for tax evasion, his contact with he club became through Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. These two had more of a professional relationship but Pep Guardiola felt the board did not help him with transfers.

He wanted Kroos to stay but the board let him go to Real Madrid and we have seen how that turned out.

He wanted both Kevin de Bruyne and Leroy Sane especially because he couldn't count on Robben and Ribery to be fit over the course of the season.

Make no mistake, Pep Guardiola appreciated the amount of effort that your clubhas put into making him feel comfortable so he can just concentrate on the game. They have supported him through everything and his strategic power within the club will grow if you secure the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.