Is Yaya the greatest African player of all time?

BigOscar

I was watching one of those "footballs greatest" things on Sky about George Weah and it ended by declaring he was the greatest African of all time and it got me thinking. Is there a case to be made that Yaya is now the greatest of all time?

I know George Weah won the Ballon D'Or at one point, but it was a very different award back then and football has changed a lot since then so it's hard to really take that as the be all and end all. I only remember glimpses of Weah as I was very young, but I remember him as the prototypical African striker, all pace and power, charging full length of the pitch and bouncing off challenges, scoring fantastic individual goals, but if I look back at it he really wasn't particularly prolific at all. Yaya scored more league goals in 13/14 than Weah ever did in a season, which is pretty surprising for a striker, even if it was in the very competitive 90's Serie A and early 90's Ligue 1.

What sets Yaya apart for me, is that despite his obvious physicality, Yaya was far from the usual African player. He developed into a technical, skilful, conductor of the game. Like a giant Xavi or Pirlo, who's passing and creativity was constantly overlooked due to his size and potential to every now and again rampage up the pitch. I think there have been other African players like Weah, though not as good, but I honestly can't think of any remotely like Yaya.

So what do you reckon? Better than Weah? Or is there even a case for others like Eto'o and Drogba?

He's in the top 5, no point in trying to go beyond that as it's all subjective really. I'd rate Weah higher personally.

Hard to compare against Weah Eto and Drogba as they were all world class strikers and all in their own right and very different players to Yaya. In his pomp Yaya was unstoppable though and ill always remember that above all the others.

Completely forgot about Eusebio, who if you count him surely wins the contest pretty comfortably. Again a striker though, not many African midfielders or defenders to write home about.

Completely forgot about Eusebio, who if you count him surely wins the contest pretty comfortably. Again a striker though, not many African midfielders or defenders to write home about.

Geremi? He had a good career

Eusabio at the time was only second to pele. Of course he lived and played for Portugal. African football then was untried and almost non existent. He ws truly an outstanding footballer.

Eusabio at the time was only second to pele. Of course he lived and played for Portugal. African football then was untried and almost non existent. He ws truly an outstanding footballer.
More to the point, Mozambique simply wasn't a country at that time it was part of Portugal. Yet at the same time, pretty hard to deny it's in Africa. Bit of a weird one

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.