More trams

At the risk of going off thread, it's probably easier to heat (or retain heat) in an underground station, especially as almost every tram stop has been constructed with minimal protection from the weather.
After we played Arsenal last season I walked to Arsenal tube station (about ten minutes from the ground) queued for about 15 minutes then straight onto the platform and on the first train. The timetable was every three minutes (IIRC) and each tube could carry approximately double the number of passengers when compared to a double length tram.
I'm not sure this is a valid comparison as there are loads of busses along Holloway Road and several other tube and rail lines, but while other public transport options are available it's a city that hates motorists almost as much as Manchester and Salford.

yes, but it's my pet peeve that Manchester decided to block up every road by not digging underground to build the metro. Now you have to stand in the elements and get hypothermia, or walk and get hypothermia anyway, when you should be able to wait underground for a tram that has more platforms and more lines with more trams and therefore a quicker, more consistent service. Metrolink is already fucked because it's overground, now all the excuses are because they've decided to do that.

I agree an underground would have made more sense, but I'd guess would have been significantly more expensive and huge transport projects can only be funded in London (eg Crossrail).
The other problem is that the tram has reduced vehicular traffic flows in the city centre meaning even greater congestion on the roads that haven't already been lost to mass pedestrianisation.

You lot just like to fucking moan about something

‘The Germans do it better’

‘Had to wait a gazillion minutes’

‘Why don’t they redirect the entire Manchester transport system to the Etihad on match days?’

Short of a train station being paid for by the Sheikh I’m afraid you’re all shit out of luck..because this is as good as it gets..and between the tram, the buses and taxis..along with your legs as Town is no more than a mile away..whilst not perfect..is nowhere near as catastrophic as you transport doom mongers prophesise it is
1.6 miles to Piccadilly, 1.8 to Shudehill, actually.

The sad fact, in this day and age, is public transport in GM is slower, less comfortable and is still more expensive than driving the car. It shouldn't be that way, and we shouldn't just accept it.

As a guesstimate and being very very generous..maybe 5% of tram users on match days walk with aids or use a wheelchair..I highly doubt you see ‘dozens’

Like I said..no one forces anyone to use the buses/trams..if you think it’s shit..get a taxi

I’m not a ‘company man’ by any means..I just work on the inside and know the logistics involved..Metrolink throw a lot of resources at it..and I’m sure Stagecoach do the same with the buses
So why do half the trams still stop at Piccadilly before and after matches rather than going three stops further before turning round?
Serious question as it would get rid of most of the problems.

Is it though..the sad fact is MOST fans can’t be arsed walking it..obviously as previously mentioned there are exceptions..but MOST of the tram users pre and post match are perfectly able bodied

If I was that enraged about being squashed in and it being a shit service..I wouldn’t use it

Fact is Metrolink..with limited resources..transport thousands of fans every match day..it would be nice to have more units..but unless TFGM put their hand in their pockets (Highly unlikely) it’s not going to happen

Maybe if you all feel so strongly about it you should write to our scouse mayor..he’s in charge of transport now ;-)
Why the reference to “our scouse mayor”?

manchester city should buy a couple of the trams and do there magic on them with the paint work and use them on match days and around town in the week there is a divert link just after the etihad campus that the trams use in the midweek and the swap over is banked up and is only ever used to the etihad campus so don't they use it on match days to double up the trams

even like somebody said a turn around point could be built before the velopark and trams could run ever 2 mins without any trouble
As I've said before, there is a third centre rail before the ETIHAD stop on the slope between ASDA and AT Way for this very purpose, (You can see it on google street view map), I have seen Trams waiting there after the match a few seasons ago but it doesn't seem to be used as much now. I'm sure there must be enough room to stack at least 2 doubles there. They may still use it but as I leave after the final whistle there never seems to be any there nowadays. Maybe the early leavers use them if its still in being used.

yes, but it's my pet peeve that Manchester decided to block up every road by not digging underground to build the metro. Now you have to stand in the elements and get hypothermia, or walk and get hypothermia anyway, when you should be able to wait underground for a tram that has more platforms and more lines with more trams and therefore a quicker, more consistent service. Metrolink is already fucked because it's overground, now all the excuses are because they've decided to do that.

And would run into £bn's to do an underground, where as the whole of the metro system has probably been done for around £700m.

At the risk of going off thread, it's probably easier to heat (or retain heat) in an underground station, especially as almost every tram stop has been constructed with minimal protection from the weather.
After we played Arsenal last season I walked to Arsenal tube station (about ten minutes from the ground) queued for about 15 minutes then straight onto the platform and on the first train. The timetable was every three minutes (IIRC) and each tube could carry approximately double the number of passengers when compared to a double length tram.
I'm not sure this is a valid comparison as there are loads of busses along Holloway Road and several other tube and rail lines, but while other public transport options are available it's a city that hates motorists almost as much as Manchester and Salford.
The temperature problems with Underground stations are normally keeping the platforms and walkways cool!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.