Fred(Signed for United)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only worry with Fred is that he is genuinely tiny. He's down as 169cm - 5 ft6 in most places, or 174 on wiki ( 5ft8)

Fernandinho isn't a giant but he is 3-4 inches taller than that, and he does get through a fair amount of defensive headers in midfield with teams often going long against us. It's an integral part of that job he does at the base of midfield.

If that's not an issue then I'm all for him, technically he's brilliant and was superb against us.

I doubt it's an issue for Pep. In fact any of our midfield and attacking lines aren't exactly Peter Crough. I like to think Pep has a soft spot for "little" men. And no, I''m not talking about Mourinho ...

That's hopefully why we'll get Weigl to stand next to him. Weigl can stand still and just head and pass, meaning he won't move therefore can't get injured, and Fred can run around like Dinho, get the ball back and then stand on Weigl's shoulders if he needs to win a header.

If you get someone to stand next to Fred then suddenly one of them has to replace Silva/KDB which changes the whole way we play.

That's hopefully why we'll get Weigl to stand next to him. Weigl can stand still and just head and pass, meaning he won't move therefore can't get injured, and Fred can run around like Dinho, get the ball back and then stand on Weigl's shoulders if he needs to win a header.

Yeah, no way are we changing our system to play two holding midfielders. I think Weigl is the best prospect and the most natural Guardiola player to replace Fernandinho long-term — but his form this season has been below-par so it's a toss up who we go for......I don't think Fred's size is too much of a problem (seeing as Kante is even shorter)

I doubt it's an issue for Pep. In fact any of our midfield and attacking lines aren't exactly Peter Crough. I like to think Pep has a soft spot for "little" men. And no, I''m not talking about Mourinho ...

Pep's actually made quite a few comments about us being at a disadvantage for being a short side, and the importance of controlling second balls against teams who go long because you can't allow them to use that strategy of knocking it up to someone who can lay it off with a head down. His defensive signings have all been pretty big as well - Mendy at 6'2" is the biggest LB in the league, Danilo and Walker are both 6ft.

I don't think it's Pep's biggest priority, but I think it's something he's aware of.

And if he is towards the taller end of the estimates online, 5'8'' then depending on how well he jumps (which is something they train as well, there was a news report a few months ago that Stones has been working on his jumping for headers) then he might well be tall enough anyway and it's not an issue.

Plus if worst comes to worst then you can always just play Fernandinho ahead of him next year, hardly a hardship...

If you get someone to stand next to Fred then suddenly one of them has to replace Silva/KDB which changes the whole way we play.

well, I think we hardly sat in August going "well, this is how our first team's going to look". Who knows what Pep's thinking. With Weigl's injury record, perhaps we'll buy 2 to suit different needs.

Pep's actually made quite a few comments about us being at a disadvantage for being a short side, and the importance of controlling second balls against teams who go long because you can't allow them to use that strategy of knocking it up to someone who can lay it off with a head down. His defensive signings have all been pretty big as well - Mendy at 6'2" is the biggest LB in the league, Danilo and Walker are both 6ft.

I don't think it's Pep's biggest priority, but I think it's something he's aware of.

Indeed our back lime represents the taller lads in the squad. They play a high line and it's most of them intercepting hoofballs, not Fernandinho. I very much doubt Pep will look for a midfielder to ocasionally intercept with his head. He'd be looking for someone who can build up with his feet. I also think Gundogan was originally brought in to play that role.

He showed his quality against us. Potentially a world class midfielder. Great vision, passing and engine. Size counts against him.

Playing in the Ukrainian league. His CV might not be the most impressive. But neither was Fernandinho's. And he is one of the best in the world.¨

Does this mean Pep isn't as much "in love" with Weigl anymore? And we won't make a move for him in the summer? Or alternatively, he could be an option to replace Fernandinho in 2019....

well, I think we hardly sat in August going "well, this is how our first team's going to look". Who knows what Pep's thinking. With Weigl's injury record, perhaps we'll buy 2 to suit different needs.

I would have thought most people predicted we'd play 433 with 1 holding midfielder in August....it's what we played for the majority of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.